Nate, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  ASE Master Certified GM Master Certified

2002 malibu: diagram for replacing the ignition switch

Customer Question

2002 malibu, can you please send me the diagram for replacing the ignition switch. thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Nate replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Nate
I will do my best to answer your question as quickly as i can with the information you have provided. Thanks for visiting JA!

Here is the instructions for replacing the switch as per the Chevy service manual. please let me know if you need more information.

Ignition Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems
  3. With a small flat-bladed tool remove the ignition switch trim ring from ignition switch.
  4. Remove the accessory trim plate from the IP carrier.
  5. Remove the upper steering column trim cover from the steering column.
  6. Remove the instrument cluster trim plate from the IP carrier.
  7. Remove the instrument panel cluster from the IP carrier.

1. Remove the ignition switch bolts from the ignition switch.

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.
  2. Insert the key into the ignition switch lock cylinder. Rotate the key to the ON position.

Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

1. Perform the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.
  1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
  2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location on the rib (1) approximately 3/8 inch rearward toward the key entry end from the cylinder release button.
  3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
  4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.
  5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
  6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.
  7. Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
  8. Follow Service Data procedures when cylinder recoding is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding.

1. Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release, then pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.

1. Press the ignition switch lock cylinder release plunger. The release plunger is located at the four o'clock position on the ignition switch housing.
  2. Use the key in order to pull the ignition switch lock cylinder from the ignition switch housing.

1. Disconnect the pass key electrical connector from the ignition switch housing.
  2. Remove the ignition switch from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Important: If replacing the ignition lock cylinder the new cylinder must be coded. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding.

1. Install the ignition switch to the vehicle.
  2. Connect the pass key electrical connector to the ignition switch housing.

1. Use the key in order to install the ignition switch lock cylinder to the ignition switch housing.
Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that previously would not rotate or was seized.

1. Perform the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder previously removed was seized or would not rotate.
  1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.
  2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
  3. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as it passes by the 9/32 inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

1. Connect the park lock cable to the ignition switch housing.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition switch.

1. Install the ignition switch housing to the IP carrier.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the ignition switch bolts.
Tighten the bolts to 6 N.m (53 lb in).

1. Install the instrument panel cluster to the IP carrier.
  2. Install the instrument panel cluster trim plate to the IP carrier.
  3. Install the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.
  4. Install the accessory trim plate to the IP carrier.
  5. Install the ignition switch trim ring to the ignition switch.
  6. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Perform the passlock learn procedure. Refer to Theft Systems Description and Operation in Theft Deterrent.
Expert:  Nate replied 2 years ago.
The ignition switch for the malibu comes with a new passlock sensor (part of the security system). So you will need to perform a relearn. Here is the procedure, there are no special tools required. Just make sure your battery is fully charged. You will only need the instructions for the 30 min. learn. Good luck!

PROGRAMMING REPLACEMENT PASSLOCK SENSOR, BCM, OR PCM

IMPORTANT:

• The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to BCM Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.
  • If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlock sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
  • If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password message. Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a learn procedure must be performed to change this password XXXXX A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.
Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:

• Passlock Sensor
  • BCM
  • PCM
Learn Procedures
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

• A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
  • A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.
10 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

Tools Required

• Tech2
  • Techline terminal with current SPS (Service Programming System) software
  1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
  2. Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
  4. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  1. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  2. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  5. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  6. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  7. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  8. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
  9. With the Tech 2 (scan tool), clear any DTCs.
30 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes , the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
IMPORTANT : The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you i am not able to work on the car today.it may be a few days. i will get back with you.
Expert:  Nate replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you run into any problems. I would ask that you click accept if this information was helpful. I will be here until your car is fixed.
Nate, ASE Master Certified
Experience: ASE Master Certified GM Master Certified
Expert:  Nate replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me for you question. I was at a long meeting last night so I was unable to get to your question. I specialize in GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles, so I believe another expert would be more suited to answer your question. Feel free to request me again in the future for any question in my areas of expertise. Thanks for using Just Answer.

Here is a bit of a spoiler until you get an answer from a another honda expert.

02 civic front strut

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Damper/Spring Replacement

Special Tools Required
Strut spring compressor, Branick MST-580A or Model 7200, or equivalent, commercially available

Removal
  1. Raise the front of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations. Remove the front wheels.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Remove the cotter pin (A) from the tie-rod end ball joint, and remove the nut (B).
  2. Disconnect the tie-rod end from the steering arm on the damper using the special tool.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Remove the bolts (A), and remove the wheel sensor harness bracket (B) and brake hose bracket (C) from the damper. Do not disconnect the wheel sensor connector.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Remove the damper pinch bolts (A) while holding the nuts (B).

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Remove the flange nuts (A) from the top of the damper.
  2. Lower the lower arm, and remove the damper assembly (B).
Disassembly/Inspection

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Compress the damper spring with a commercially available strut spring compressor (A) according to the manufacturer's instructions, then remove the self-locking nut (B) while holding the damper shaft (C) with a hex wrench (D). Do not compress the spring more than necessary to remove the nut.
  2. Release the pressure from the strut spring compressor, then disassemble the damper as shown in the Exploded View.
  3. Reassemble all the parts, except for the spring.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Compress the damper assembly by hand, and check for smooth operation through a full stroke, both compression and extension. The damper should extend smoothly and constantly when compression is released. If it does not, the gas is leaking and the damper should be replaced.
  2. Check for oil leaks, abnormal noises, and binding during these tests.
Reassembly

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Install all the parts except the self-locking nut onto the damper unit by referring to the Exploded View. Align the bottom of the spring (A) and the stepped part of the lower spring seat (B) as illustrated. The hole in the upper spring seat and the arrow on the damper mounting base must point toward the knuckle mounting area.
  2. Install the damper assembly on a commercially available strut spring compressor (C).
  3. Compress the damper spring with the strut spring compressor.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Install a new self-locking nut (A) on the damper shaft.
  2. Hold the damper shaft with a hex wrench (B), and tighten the self-locking nut to the specified torque.
Installation

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Lower the lower arm, and position the damper assembly in the body.
  2. Loosely install the flange nuts (A) onto the top of the damper.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Position the damper bottom on the knuckle, and install the damper pinch bolts (A) and nuts (B), and lightly tighten the nuts.
  2. Place the floor jack under the lower arm ball joint, and raise the suspension to load it with the vehicle's weight.
NOTICE: Do not place the jack against the flat section of the lower arm. Lifting the arm in this area might bend it.

1. Tighten the flange nuts on the top of the damper to the specified torque.
  2. Tighten the damper pinch nuts to the specified torque.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Connect the tie-rod end to the steering arm, and tighten the nut (A) to the specified torque. Install the cotter pin (B) after tightening, and bend its end as shown.
  2. Install the brake hose bracket and the flange bolt onto the damper, and tighten the bolt to the specified torque.
  3. Clean the mating surface of the brake disc and the inside of the wheel, then install the front wheels.
  4. Check the wheel alignment, and adjust it if necessary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I didn't realize I had incorrectly put in wrong section thank you
Expert:  Nate replied 2 years ago.
That's ok, hopefully an expert will be with you shortly.