Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

97 chevy: no spark at coil,well found new crank sesor..harness..ecm

talked to before on that 97 chevy 5.7 getting no spark at coil,well found new crank sesor was sending back 8 volts for signal put in old one and got 5 volts back,tried a conntinuity test on harness between c3 pin9 and c4 pin 18 and wasfine at all connections now getting a code p1395 after crancking over a couple different times and still getting 6-7 volts from signal at icm, is there a way to test ecm and what do tou know about preproggrammed ecm
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hello again.

Can you verify the code number you are getting now as this code P1395 doesn't come up for this vehicle?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im sorry itsp1351 code
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

I can walk you through the test steps here to locate what is at fault.

The first step is to clear the code,then disconnect the fuel injector large electrical connector from the top of the engine behind the throttle body.

Then crank the engine over for 30 seconds.Then recheck to see if this fault code reset.

Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i still come up with p1351
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Next step reconnect the injector connector then disconnect the ignition module connector and probe terminal B at the module connector with a multi meter and the negative lad on the multi meter connected to ground.Set the multi meter to AC volts and crank over the engine.Let me know what you get for voltage,it should be between 1 and 4 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i getting 7.2 volts on ac with it unhooked
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
When you tested resistance between C3 terminal 9 was this tested for resistance on this wire from the end of the computer connector to the ignition module terminal B wire?Was it less then 10 ohms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it was .3
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

With this code and these test steps we have taken here the next step is to check for a bad connection at the computer and if the connection and wiring are o.k. from the computer to the ICM then the fault is in the computer itself and it needs replaced.Was this computer replaced and programmed by a dealer?

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it has not been replaced and what do you think of preprogrammed computers
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
A pre programmed computer is o.k. as long as it has been programmed and ready to go for your vehicle from your vehicles Vin number or options.

I know these can be purchased from local parts stores as well as other places possibly and they operate like they should so this is a good option to avoid going to the dealer.

Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.