Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

98 chevy 5.7 silverado: have PO 430 code. Does this mean

98 chevy 5.7 silverado: have PO 430 code. Does this mean I need a catalytic converter?
Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Unfortunately, yes. Most commonly with the P0430 is a failing Catalytic Converter for Bank 2 (passenger's side). The oxygen sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into and then out of the converter. When they see teh converter isn't "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet GM specs, the converter is deemed "below threshold" and will need to be replaced. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. If these check ok, suspect a fault y converter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what brand of converter would you recomend for this truck? Possibly a high flow?
The replacement converter needs to be as close to GM OEM specs as possible. If not, it will NOT cure the P0430. For example- those "universal" or "discount" ones they sell at AutoZone, do NOT meet GM specs. I have had fairly good luck with the "Walker" brand name with GM vehicles.