Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner

2004 Tahoe: radio system..The factory radio CD player..anti-theft

I have a 2004 Tahoe with a factory Bose radio system. The factory radio CD player was not working so I pulled the radio out and removed the debris that was in the CD slot. I was not aware of the problems that I could incur with the anti-theft device system. I reinstalled the factory radio and it would only play one AM channel, most lileky the last one it was tuned to, and the radio can not be changed to any other function or radio station. It did not display any error message on the radio nor would it display the numeric radio station. I have now installed a Kenwood deck with an Axxess interface to keep all of the factory wiring harness. I feel pretty good that I did that correctly. I do get the chime system when the doors are open. However my Kenwood radio will only play for a few seconds then the sound shuts off, but the power to the Kenwood unit is still good, as the display is still illuminated, but no sound from the radio. So I suspect I have done something to the anti-theft feature. But if I reinstall the factory radio I believe the display will be blank and I will not be able to get the code. How can l leave my Kenwood radio in the vehicle and get it to operate correctly? I am hoping to leave the Kenwood in and somehow reset the computer system without having to reinstall the old factory radio?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. What model is your XXXXX XXXXX radio this should not be affected by any antitheft system. Checked to make sure that the wiring is good going to the amplifier and that all your speaker wiring is intact
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the kenwood model is KDC-HD548U. The Axxess GMOS Interface is part # XXXXX By the word amplifier, do you mean the Kenwood radio deck? Why would the sound work for two seconds? Could it be the RCA cable inputs are hooked up incorrectly, although I double checked the directions. If I had a bad power or ground connection, then I would not be able to see and operate the display?. I can change radio stations and operate the radio dial. I just cannot hear anything.
Yes the system does use a separate audio amplifier so depending on how you wire do new radio in you may have a problem with the amplifier