Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Hello JACUSTOMER, does your kay have the little black chip in it?
the chip is on the lock
this is the lolck and key http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/CS611L.oap?year=1997&make=Chevrolet&model=Cavalier&vi=1038350&ck=Search_ignition+lock+cylinder%21s%21assembly_1038350_2772&keyword=ignition+lock+cylinder%21s%21assembly
Hi, glad to be of help. The relearn procedure is 30 minutes not 1 hour and it is not done 4 times. Try this first, here is the correct procedure:
Theft deterent systems, relearn procedures
Passlock III RelearnProcedure
30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Usethis procedure after replacing any of the following components:
The PASS-Key III plus keys
The theft deterrent module (TDM)
The powertrain control module (PCM)
Thisprocedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured TDMs.
When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.
Whenreplacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, ensure the procedure to setup anew TDM is performed prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.
1. With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engineOFF.
2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes,the telltale will turn OFF.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 twomore times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
5. ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle hasnow learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned thefuel continue password.
7. If additional keys are required to be learned, continue to step8.
8. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, withthe engine OFF.
9. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
10. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON theignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.
Passlock III system uses a standard ignition key to rotate aspecially coded ignition switch.