Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

2008 Silverado - 1500: 4X4..clunk and grinding noise..front end

Hi, 2008 Silverado - 1500 Z71 4X4. started yesterday, clunk and grinding noise, seemingly coming from the front end, underneath but could be right below driver too. grinds, sounds like metal on metal. does this only when truck is moving forward or backward and still happens with transmission in neutral. steering may make it a little worse but not really. it is fine to move the steering wheel when truck is parked. does not seem to matter if in 2 wheel, auto or 4 wheel. worse at slow speeds and just starting out.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Jon it from your description it sounds like you have either brake pads that are medal of medal or a faulty wheel bearings jack up the front end of the truck and rotate each wheel by hand telling me which wheel is making noise and also checked for plate and the wheel bearings grabbed the wheel and try to shake it back and forth and tell me if there's any looseness
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to get an idea what i'm looking at when i take it in. applying brakes doesn't seem to matter and they should still be good. so i suspect its the wheel bearings.