GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2009 chevy cobalt: the service light came on for service airbag

Customer Question

i have a 2009 chevy cobalt , the service light came on for service airbag , what cause this to happen
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

The service airbag indicator is exactly that, I'm indicator that there is a fault with the airbag system. While this light is illuminated, the airbags want to play in the event of an accident. This could be a faulty wiring connections somewhere, faulty sensor on the problem with the module, or any of the airbags. Other than a visual inspection, it will be almost pointless to do anything without first getting the code. For that we need a full ScanTool read the code from the airbag system. With that code we can quickly identify the exact part of the system involved, and work on diagnosis from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, but was there any problems with these cars that cause it to come on ? I have a chey silverodo 2005 and it did the same thing, and i was told they had problems with the wire connection under the driver seat. I thought maybe cobalts had the same problem , just wondering
There's nothing specific like what you indicate on this vehicle that I know of. We will still need the code before we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
reson i haven,t accept your answer because you said to have the codes sent to you. will if i got to go to the expense of having it hook up to a computer to get the codes then i will know what is wrong with it without your help. I thought that you would know without me going threw the expense of taking it to a garage. I understand now that you can,t do anything without the codes. so I feel that you really didn,t help me.
THere are hundreds of codes and while some experts would guess and have you waste money trying parts.