Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2002 Chevy Astro: AWD..Engine Soon light came on..drove..intermittent

2002 Chevy Astro Van AWD 128k miles "Check Engine Soon" light came on. I was 400 miles from home & drove about 300 miles. Engine acted like it was starved for fuel, intermittent hesitations while driving 65mph. Acceleration was OK & gas mileage stayed around 17mpg. The symptoms got progressively worse & eventually the engine quit. Had it towed to repair shop. They say it does not come up with a code & it's getting fuel & spark but won't start. They spray starting fluid in & it pops & backfires. They want to get at the timing chain but that doesn't make sense from what I described. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
They may be on the right track. If your initial check engine light came on because of a mis-match between the crankshaft and camshaft sensors then it could be due to the timing chain skipping slightly. This would also cause performance problems. As you drove further the timing chain jumped more till the engine would no longer run. They should be able to do a compression test on the engine though to verify a timing chain issue, if it is jumped some or all the cylinders will have low compression.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my mistake on the light but think you understood? I think the "service engine soon" was the light. guessing that doesn't make a difference but just want to make sure
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
Same light. I would see if they can do a compression test before they start tearing all the way down to the timing chain. But at 128k miles I would not be surprised to see a timing chain skip.