Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2007 chevy silverado 1500: the power steering..intermittently..warmed

I have a 2007 chevy silverado 1500 4wd crew cab still stock, 130k miles. the past three days the power steering has been quitting intermittently after the truck is really warmed up it's to the point I don't feel safe driving in it. Any idea's as to what's going on here?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

If the power steering fluid is full and the lines are not restricted or kinked in any way, either your pump will be at fault or your rack and pinion will be the root cause. IT will be either one of the two. Usually the pump does not work intermittently. This is usually a bad rack and pinion. However, just be sure that the serpentine belt is not and tight and not slipping on the power steering pump pulley.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did you mean to say the serpintine belt is not BROKEN, because the belt is working. What should the fair market value be to relace the rack and pinion and is it something a mobile mechanic could handle? does the 4wd make this any hareder? how rare is this to go out? does it get worse when the truck is warmer because of the friction generated to a worn out rack and pinion? Can that part be rebuilt or come from a recycler? or is ti simply better to use a new part? Thank you for your help as money is really tight, Willie
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
YES.. sorry for the confusion. Be sure that the serp belt is nice and tight around the power steering pulley.

The rack and pinion is between 500 and 600 bucks itself depending on certain options.

I do not believe a mobile mechanic can handle this issue.

This is not very common, but it does happen from time to time.

I would get a rebuilt or a remanufactured warranty rack and pinion.