Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Heated Seats wont stay on on my 2005 Suburban. Help!!!

Heated Seats won't stay on on my 2005 Suburban. Help!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

When you say software update was this for the seat control module?

Were both upper and lower elements replaced?

Are both front heated seats not operating?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll have to find the paperwork on the software update. I'll call the dealership tomorrow.
I purchased the Dorman replacement elements, plugged them into the drivers seat... they did not work. The light would come on for 10 seconds then go off. I plugged them into the passengers side. They worked fine. So I know it's not the elements.
I returned to elements.
I also purchased a new switch for the door. It did not solve the problem either. Light still only come on for 10 seconds. I returned the switch also.
Passangers door works fine, power seats work fine, pedals work fine, memory works fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

Most likely the dealer updated the software in the memory seat control module as this is the control unit that controls the heated seats.

Since the programming was done and the elements and switch did not correct this fault this sounds like you have an internal electrical failure in the memory seat control unit itself as these can be common to fail and cause this issue as I have had to replace several times before.

It can fail internally electronically and when it does it causes this issue here.

This would have to be replaced and a dealer install programming once it has been replaced to correct this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Happy Holidays!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked with the dealership today about the software. They did not know what kind of software update they did. It did not say on the recipe. They said I would have to bring it back in and just start over since I know it's not the heating element or the switch. I asked him specifically if he reprogramed the switch module. He said no. I'm not sure what they updated as I have seen no changes to the vehicle.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

O.k.

They may need to check and update the heated seat control module if they haven't done this to see if it corrects the issue.

If it doesn't and with what has been replaced already then this sounds like it may be the memory seat control module at fault needing replaced.This can be a common component to fail and cause this issue here.

Happy Holidays!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the "memory seat control module" is there one for each seat or just one for both seats. Yesterday, the passenger seat heater turned off when I tried to turn on the drivers seat...

I have also had problems with the drivers seat loosing it's memory, or squishing me into the steering wheel on exit... Sound consistent with the issue?

(last question) Do I have to go to a dealership to get this done, or can a local mechanic shop to do it?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ii apologize for the delay.

I believe it only has one under the drivers side front seat that controls both seats.

The seat exit may be setup wrong and this can be why it is pushing you into the steering wheel.Your owners manual should tell you how to set this up.It is controlled by the memory seat module as well so it could be at fault for this issue here as well as loss of memory seats intermittently.

It has to be replaced by a dealer as they have to program the new seat module with their scan tool and GM computer.

Thanks Pete!
Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.