Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Chevrolet HHR: My HHR is doing the reduced engine w/ light

My HHR is doing the reduced engine w/ light on. I had the code read and it said my ECM is bad. If i disconect my battery and reconnect it works fine for a few days then acts up again. Is there any other chevy models the ECM is interchangeable with for the HHR because finding a used one for it is a nightmare.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

The Reduced Engine Power message alerts the driver that the Control Module has detected a fault in the Throttle Actuator Control system. The control module limits engine power when this mode is Active. The reason that the light goes off when you disconnect the battery is because this cleared all memory from the computer.

Do not chance the ECM. You are going to need to get your computer scanned for codes and go after the sensor or circuit that is indicated by the computer.

My experience has been a bad throttle body, pedal position sensor or an wiring/connector issue going to or at the throttle body itself.

I hope this helps!