Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

How Do I change the thermostat on 2001 Impala 3.6 v6 engine.

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Your thermostat on this vehicle is located behind the thermostat housing which is located on the upper drivers side of the engine where the upper radiator hose connects at the engine.

To remove this thermostat you will have to remove the air inlet tubing from the engine air filter box,drain the coolant using the radiator drain plug under the front of the vehicle,then you will have to use a small 13 mm wrench and or a wobble 13 mm socket to loosen and remove the thermostat housing to engine bolts.This can be tough to get to and time consuming.you don't have to remove the exhaust crossover pipe,you will have to reach in with a short wrench and wobble socket to remove these bolts.

Once they are removed the housing will slide forward and off,then the thermostat can be removed and a new one installed and put back together and the coolant refilled.

graphic

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry the engine is 3.4 v6. Is the instructions the same? Also do you have to reset the computer?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Yes,these are the instructions for the 3.4 liter engine.

No reset is required.