JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

1997 chevy: Turn signals headlights brake lights..all the bulbs

i have a 1997 chevy silverado z71 and i have no tail lights. Turn signals headlights brake lights and reverse light work. ive replaced all the bulbs and the stop light relay in the fuse block. what should i check next
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Happy Holidays, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

Do you have parking lights in the front or rear? On the first click parking light setting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no matter what position the switch is in the no lights in the back except brake lights reverse lights and turn signals and on the front if i turn the switch one click the botXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXght comes on along with the head lights and when i turn the switch two clicks and try the brakes i have nothing

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
OK. You have a trailer tow package too?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not sure how would i know i dont have a brake conrtrol in the cab

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Behind the bumper will be a set of wires for the trai;ler. Is there one? Drivers side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes it has a round plug mounted on the driver side rear bumper

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
OK. I suspect because both lights are out you need to check to see if 12v is coming out of the multi-switch to the parking lamps when the switch is on. It is the only brown wire at the multi-switch. If it has 12v repair the open to the rear of the truck.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless and Happy Holidays.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what/where is the multi_switch and what do you mean repair the open to the rear of the truck. what open

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
The multi-switch is the turn signal switch. Again if there is 12v from the brown wire you have an open WIRE to the rear. If no 12v with the lights on you have a bad multi-switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how do i access that

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Remove the covers for the column. The Steering wheel must come off first. A few screws on the bottom cover and you get to the switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
So what do you need? Incomplete answer? Remember this? If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
send me the diagrams i would need please
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by CLICKING HERE, HERE and HERE. I hope this helps you.