GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2000 chevy astro: tune..miss..while it goes away no service light

I have a 2000 chevy astro van just had a tune up and when i start it up first thing it has a slight miss after driving for a while it goes away no service light and will not show up on the computor.. any help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What brand of plugs were used and did it include the cap and rotor

Customer:

not sure .the service engine light came on i took it to in they showed mis fire -records showed plugs replace 20.000 miles ago no wires he replaced wire and cap and rotor help alot more power than ever but a slight miss when you first start after you drive a while it goes away .i took back and they could not figure out why ,

GM Tech (Cam) :

This could be a vacuum leak.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This could be an intake gasket leaking internally. See if there is lots of vacuum in the crankcase. Take the Vent out of the passengers valve cover and plug it. Take the PCV out of the drivers and plug it. Then with the engine running, take the oil cap off and spray some starting fluid in there, just a bit and see if there is a reaction from the engine. If so then the intake gaskets are leaking internally and will need to be replaced.

Customer:

ok i will let them no .if it is the intake gaskets is this costly-van only has 100.000 miles and stored each winter almsot mint

GM Tech (Cam) :

That repair is about 800 or so .

Customer:

why doesnt it show up service engine light

GM Tech (Cam) :

because the amount it is misfiring is not enough to meet the requirements of that code to set the light .

Customer:

thank you for all your help.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page (CTRL D) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

Customer:

also one more question why does it smooth out after driveing a while and then starts back up the next morning

GM Tech (Cam) :

things heat up and seal then the leak would be gone.

GM Tech (Cam) :

until it cools off again.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.