Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner

2001 silverado 3500: duramax diesel engine i need to know

i have a 2001 silverado 3500 with duramax diesel engine i need to know how to replace the pressure regulater
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Which pressure regulator are you trying to replace
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pressure regulater that controls the diesel fuel or is it in the fuel pump in the tank
That's what I'm trying to find out from you'll are you looking for the high pressure pump or you want the pressure regulator from the transfer fuel pump which is part of that pump also . What kinda problem are you experiencing exactly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when driving the truck surgess up and down and at idle it seem to want to stall out
This trouble is very very often caused by Faulty injectors , Checked to see if there's excess fuel in the oil by putting a drop of oil on a paper towel from the dipstick the oil in the fuel will separate you'll see two Distinct rings on the paper tell if there's fuel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checked oil does not appear to have deisel in it
Check to see if there is any air leaks at the fuel filter or a clogged filter , have you replaced it recently ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fuel filter has been replaced recently also the enjectors were replaced after recall on them about 80000 miles ago when the old enjectors went bad and the fuel went into the oil there was a smoking mess this is differant
If you pump the Manual primer pump is it soft or is it hard when you try to pump it If there is any air getting in the system primer pump will be soft when you press On it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a pressure value or switch that regulate the fuel and where is it located

yes here is the location and the procedure to replace it

Service and Repair

Fuel Pressure Regulator

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the air intake pipe.
  2. Disconnect the air conditioning (A/C) compressor clutch electrical connector.
  3. Disconnect the A/C cut out switch electrical connector.
  4. Remove the drive belt.
  5. Remove the A/C compressor bolts.
  6. Move the A/C compressor with the hoses attached to the right side of the engine compartment.

1. Remove the water outlet tube.
  2. Disconnect both main harness electrical connectors.

1. Remove both main harness electrical connector to bracket bolts (1).
  2. Remove the main harnesses from the bracket.

1. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector (1).

1. Disconnect the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor electrical connector (1)

1. Disconnect the glow plug relay electrical connectors (1, 2, 3).

1. Disconnect the fuel rail temperature sensor electrical connector (1).

1. Disconnect the left front fuel injector electrical connector (1).

1. Disconnect the left rear fuel injector electrical connector (1).

1. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator electrical connector (1).

1. Disconnect the oil level sensor harness electrical connector (1).

1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose from both valve covers.

1. Reposition the injection pump inlet clamp.
  2. Remove the injection pump inlet hose from the fuel feed distribution (leak-off) block. Reposition the hose.

1. Clean the fuel pressure regulator and high pressure injection pump thoroughly with solvent, such as GM P/N 12377981 (Canadian P/N 10953463) or equivalent.
  2. Using compressed air, thoroughly blow dry the regulator and pump.
  3. Remove the 3 fuel pressure regulator screws (1) using a T25 TORX.

1. Remove the fuel pressure regulator (1).

IMPORTANT: DO NOT use compressed air to remove debris while the fuel pressure regulator is removed.

1. If dirt or debris is found in the bore or seating surfaces of the fuel injection pump, perform the following:
    • Place a clean rag over the bore on order to collect the excess fuel.
    • Bump the engine over in order to flush any debris out of the regulator bore.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: If the pressure regulator is being re-used, check the O-rings for damage. If the O-rings are damaged, install NEW O-rings.

1. Lubricate and install NEW O-rings onto the regulator. Lubricate the O-rings with clean, NEW engine oil.

IMPORTANT: If the regulator is installed at an angle the O-rings may be damaged, resulting in possible fuel leakage.

1. Install the fuel pressure regulator (1).

1. Install the 3 fuel pressure regulator screws (1) using a T25 TORX.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten

• Tighten the screws a first pass to 4 Nm (35 lb in).
  • Tighten the screws a final pass to 7 Nm (62 lb in).

1. Install the injection pump inlet hose to the fuel feed distribution (leak) block.
  2. Position the injection pump inlet clamp.

1. Install the PCV hose to both valve covers.

1. Connect the oil level sensor harness electrical connector (1).

1. Connect the fuel pressure regulator electrical connector (1).

1. Connect the left rear fuel injector electrical connector (1).

1. Connect the left front fuel injector electrical connector (1).

1. Connect the fuel rail temperature sensor electrical connector (1).

1. Connect the glow plug relay electrical connectors (1, 2, 3).

1. Connect the BARO sensor electrical connector (1)

1. Connect the ECT sensor electrical connector (1).

1. Install the main harnesses to the bracket.
  2. Install both main harness electrical connector to bracket bolts (1).

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 21 Nm (15 lb ft).

1. Connect both main harness electrical connectors.
  2. Install the water outlet tube.

1. Position the A/C compressor.
  2. Install the A/C compressor bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 53 Nm (37 lb ft).

1. Install the drive belt.
  2. Connect the A/C cut out switch electrical connector.
  3. Connect the A/C compressor clutch electrical connector.
  4. Install the air intake pipe.

Fuel System - Diesel Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 03-06-04-010

Date: January, 2003

INFORMATION

Subject:
6.6L LB7 Duramax(TM) Diesel Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Models:
2001-2003 Chevrolet SilveradoNNN-NN-NNNNSeries Models
2003 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series Models
2001-2003 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series Models
2003 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series Models
with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VIN 1 - RPO LB1)

The fuel pressure regulator, P/N 97728979, is now serviceable separate from the fuel injection pump.

If the Service Manual diagnostics lead to the replacement of the fuel pressure regulator, inspect the inner tip of the regulator (see illustration) for corrosion upon its removal. The inner tip of a fuel pressure regulator from an uncontaminated fuel system will be smooth with tan colored fuel deposits, but it will not be blackened with heavy scaling or pitting.

If blackened corrosion and pitting is found on the inner tip of the regulator, the integrity of the fuel injection pump has been compromised and the pump must be replaced. Replace the fuel filter element and clean the fuel system using Service Manual procedures.

Injector replacement is not necessary, as the fuel injection pump is the most susceptible component to corrosion damage. After repairs are completed, re-evaluate the vehicle's performance to ensure no additional concerns are present. Some fuel additives emulsify water into the fuel and allow the water to get past the fuel filter/water separator. Fuel additives can be introduced by the customer or by the fuel retailer. Advise the customer of possible fuel source issues and recommend against the use of aftermarket fuel additives.

Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner