Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1999 Chevy S10: clutch..my fuel pump went..3-10 seconds..acceleration

I have a 1999 Chevy S10, 2,2 L, Manual that had a very sudden clutch failure(or I have been told). A few days ago my fuel pump went out, before this there existed no other symptoms of problems. The pump was replaced, immediately after I picked the truck up I had to hold very high RPMs for 3-10 seconds with zero power, then a very slow acceleration. The same RPM, hesitation, and acceleration effects all gears (including reverse), for both take-off and shifting. Is this normal for it to go out THIS suddenly, why would it, should I be looking for another solution (ie fluid in the clutch assy. or components that can cause similar symptoms)?
Here are some notes and observations:
-Idles at normal RPMs
-No burning smell (previous or current)
-Clutch pedal has 1/4in play before pressure is felt
-Pedal is neither softer or harder.
-Shift lever goes into, and out of gear, both in motion and stationary without resistance.
-Clutch fluid is clean, and is (also has been) full.
-Has 150,000 mi, unsure if the clutch has been replaced previously. Granted it is due for it, but with the lack of previous indicators for a mechanical unit seems like something is very off.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

you need to replace the clutch itself..it is burnt out......yes,this will happen sometimes

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just making sure that before I spend that kind of money/time, that I am looking at the correct problem.

Z

you are welcome

thanks for using justanswer