Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2009 Chevy Malibu: Engine light and tire pressure light came on

Have 2009 Chevy Malibu. Engine light and tire pressure light came on. The code provided to me was P0013. What does it mean, how long would it take (approx) to repair and how much (roughly) would it cost to repair?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

The tire pressure light will usually come on when the tire pressures are low or in some cases if you have a faulty tire pressure sensor.This can usually be corrected by filling the tires to the proper air pressure and resetting the light.

As for the fault code set here this can be caused by a faulty exhaust camshaft actuator or the circuit from the computer to the actuator or possibly a faulty engine control computer.

These components would need tested by a shop or dealer or someone with a scan tool to command the actuator and observe parameters and test voltages to see which component is at fault.

The cost for repair varies depending on what is at fault.It can range from maybe around $100 for wiring repair to $400 for the actuator or engine computer and possibly higher depending on shop charges.

It is best to have it looked at and diagnosed first to see what component is failing before replacing anything.GM does have a bulletin out on this possibly being caused by excess play in the camshaft and in some cases the cylinder head has to be replaced to correct this issue which can cost over $2000 in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

All tires are are inflated to the same pressure. Because both the check engine light and check tire pressue light are both on, would that indicate that the problem is more likely a circuit issue? Can the exhaust camshaft actuator cause both of these lights to turn on?

Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
In some cases the tire pressure light or traction control light may come on with the check engine light due to electrical interference but in most cases if the tire pressure light is on this is caused by either low pressure or a faulty tire pressure sensor.The pressure sensor signals would have to be tested by a shop or even a tire store to see if one sensor is faulty with their test tool.If one sensor has failed then it needs replaced to correct this issue here.

The cam shaft actuator and circuit shouldn't cause the tire pressure light to come on.