JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

97 chevy s10: brake lights..wire going..multifunction switch..plug.

97 chevy s10 no brake lights. no power at the white wire on multifunction switch. no breaks in the white wire going from multifunction switch to the plug. high mount brake light works. what should i check next?
Happy Holidays, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

Do you have 12v to the orange wire at the brake switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
going to check right now.
OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes there is power to the orange wire on the brake light switch.
OK. When you push down the brake pedal is there 12v to the white wire at the switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes there is power at the white wire on the brake switch with the pedal pushed down.
You have no 12v at the white wire at the connector to the turn signal switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no power on the white wire on the connector to the multifunction switch.
You have an open wire from the brake switch to that connector. Try jumping 12v to that white wire at the multiswitch connector. Brake lights work repair the open wire from the brake switch to the multiswitch connector.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless and Happy Holidays.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i have power to the multifunction/turn signal switch with the pedal pushed down. and i have power comming out of the turn signal switch on the dark green,black,white and yellow wires but still no rear brake lights.
You have burned out bulbs or you have an open circuit in the yellow and the dark green wire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i found the break. i was under the truck yesterday checking things out and i unplugged the plug going to the tail lights and forgot to plug it back in. thanks for helping figure this out. ultimately the problem was the break between the brake light switch and the multifunction/turn signal switch. You da man!!!
Thank you and Happy Holidays, JHoop
Please leave positive feedback.