John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

Chevrolet Cavalier: 1998 Chevy Cavalier wont start problem

Customer Question

1998 Chevy Cavalier wont start problem with anti theft, I turn key to on position wait 10 mins sometimes starts others no, then even if I have driven for several minutes wont start again please help. Thanks Charles in Arizona
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Has anyone viewed the computer data for the theftLock system ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I took it to the dealer they wanted $75 to just check problem said it could cost up to $500 dont have that kind of cash. I did have the engine replaced, a re built and since then have had this problem. Used to be turn key on position, anti theft red light would blink then stay solid, waited 10 minutes then it would turn over.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok, well I would have to say that one especially needs view the data for the system to see what input & outputs are...this was an "installed" problem. Can you tell me where this switch is suppose to go ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure i was told when you turn the key sends signal to the computer then when and if it recognizes the key will turn over. I have trying to start this car for an hour now, there is power lights work etc, but the red anti theft light is not going on and will not start. That is about all I know hope you can help, my daughter and I need to go to church, thanks.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I understand your concerns. Repairing a malfunctioning computer system for theft always does things at the wrong time. The part that usually fails is the ignition lock cylinder ( computer sees incorrect signal). From what you have told me there is a fault code set in theft deterrent parameters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is all greek to me you still have not provided me with answer so I can get this thing started today
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
If the ignition switch is faulty ,there is no "secret word" any anything that one can do but repair the problem. Do you want instructions on replacing the switch ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sure are you sure that is the problem? seems many people have this problem with the anti theft system, just tried the car again and the red anti theft light has come on, usually the car will start now in 10 minutes, your the expert if you believe it is the ignition switch send me the instructions on replacing the switch thanks
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I would not put in a part without "looking " at the data , system has to be programmed after repair.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle (With Key)

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.Disable the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) system.
3.Remove the steering column shrouds.

4.Turn the ignition lock cylinder (1) to the RUN position.

5.Push the locking button (2) on the rear of the housing assembly (1).
6.Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling outward from the steering column.

7.Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the ignition lock cylinder (1).

1.Connect the electrical connector (3) to the ignition lock cylinder (1).

2.Insert the ignition lock cylinder into the housing assembly (1) while rotating the key approximately 5 degrees counter - clockwise.
3.Install the steering column shrouds.
4.Enable the SIR system.
5.Connect the negative battery cable.
6.Perform the Passlock Learning Procedure.

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.