Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2000 chevy blazer: four wheel drive..4wheel drive..drive shaft..diff

Customer Question

2000 chevy blazer zr-2. four wheel drive issue, ok the lights go on as if it is in 4wheel drive, the drive shaft to the front differential spins, but the 2 front tires do not spin, as i hit the buttons to put it in4wheel i hear clicking and the front tires just do not. definatley at the front diff.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

ok

so,,neither front wheel pulls?

the actuator under the battery does pull the cable?

please tell me all you can

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope neither front wheel spins, had it on jackstands. the driveshaft to the front diff turns inXXXXX the cable that goes to the ballon only moves about 1/4 inch after I took it off the ballon. I hear the clicking in the dash and a bigger clicking under the blazer, so then the drive shaft turns and then no movement from the front tires. the ballon i took off and compressed it with my hands and put my finger over where the vac hose attaches and the ballon stayed compressed.

ok

on the jacks,,,,,,did the front shaft turn?

when you compressed the actuator with your hands,,did it lock the front wheels?

does the 4wd indecator light up in the blazer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes front drive shaft turned, the light on the button works as if it is in 4h, 4l, 2h. did not try it with running... I will go out and put it on jacks again now and try it.. need about 15-20 mins. anything i should know while i do that and get back to ya with...

yes...tell me about the clicking you hear.......get it on the stands,,and we will see if w can find the problem.....get with me when you get iit up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok

let me know when you check it out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok up in the air.. ballon seems to be working but it only moves the cable about a 1/4 inch. I disconnected the vacum line to baloon and pluged it and tried to move the cable. the cable still only moves a 1/4 inch and the front tires didnot engage. the clicking is two different clicks. one is a simple click in the dash somewhere and the other comes from underneith the truck and it sounds more like a slow click or more like a swich being pulled.. drive shaft to the front spins when i hit the 4h button and on 2h the drive shaft to the front stops moving
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you there?

ok

sorry having computer trouble here...

i dont think your transfer case actuator[encoder]is going all the way into 4wd..this may be why,it isnt pulling the cable all the way..the transfercase must go all the way into gear,,to turn the vacuum switch on top of the transfer case all the way on...this may be why it is clicking.......you may want to pull the cable by hand,,and see if it locks up....if it does,,you may just need the vacuum switch

thanks

sorry my computer is giving a fit....

let me know where you are.......

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
even if the front drive shaft is turning when i put it in 4h..

ok

if it is turning ,,,,,pull the cable in and the vacuum actuator by hand...let me know if it locks in the front wheels..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok just finished for the day, I pulled the cable that plugs in the differential and nothing. had a buddy keep switching from 4hi to 2hi and I was yanking on that cable and nothing happened. I think that it is something wrong with the shift fork inside. I havent used theXXXXXin at least 1 1/2 years. and was stuck in the mud while hunting.. so as of right now I am in the process of pulling the passenger drive axle off and the axle houseing so I can see whats going on in the differential.. Also the actuator cable that clips onto the shift fork on the differential, the rubber gasket is shot on it and Im sure the oil in the differential is under halfway full.. so seeing how I have to replace the rubber seal, I figured I gonna get inside the differential and see how it looks inside..but that will be in the morning..

yes...you are correct here..it may be stuck or the fork is worn......it should have locked the front,,just by pulling the cable.....so,,if the cable is connected,,it is a probelm with the slide gear or the fork

thanks