Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet sububan: traction control light comes on chevy suburban

traction control light comes on chevy suburban 6.0
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does the engine have a solid misfire or only when the traction light comes on and does it feel like a misfire from the engine?

Is the check engine light on or flashing at all?

Have fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
had reduce engine light come on it was the ground wires were bad g104 and g103 the truck misfires only when the traction light comes on wondering if this could be a pcm problem
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what cylinders are misfiring and have spark and fuel injector pulses been checked to those cylinders when it misfires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i put new plugs wires fuel filter fuel pumps tps aps throttle accuator control module new throttle body gaskets and clened out the code are for abs and tps aps throttle accuator cleared codes traction light comes back on just wondering could a plug cat or do i have a glick in the pcm that needs to be reset also a new battery
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Usually the traction light will only come on when there is a fault with the traction on a slippery road surface.I have seen this light also come on when a fault is detected within the engine computer and engine itself when the check engine light comes on due to electrical interference causing the traction light to come on.

It may be possible the computer is causing this,cats can also plug up and cause misfires but wont usually turn on the traction light.You can have the back pressure tested for the exhaust system to see if there is to much back pressure,it shouldn't exceed 1.5 psi through any rpm range.

If this is an actual misfire in the engine then what needs to be done when it misfires is to check to see which cylinder is misfiring and check spark and fuel injector pulses to that cylinder to see if any are missing.If you have spark and fuel injector pulses it may be possible that a fuel injector is failing and isn't atomizing/spraying the fuel properly.This would have to be tested with a fuel pressure test gage and an injector pulse tool or scan tool that can pulse each injector to see if it is spraying/atomizing properly.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me ask you this when you aply brake and put into drive the light kicks on before you start to move that sounds like electrical problem or the pcm might need flash since the engine is all ran by the pcm
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Yes,you are correct,if it were an actual traction fault the light wouldn't come on until the vehicle starts moving.

It is possible the PCM is at fault,usually a flash wont correct this issue that I have seen or heard of but you can have a dealer check to see if there is any updated programming for the computer and they can re flash the computer and see if it corrects the fault.

This does sound electrical with the misfire and the light coming on as soon as it is in gear.Check and make sure the battery power and ground connections are clean and tight at the battery and to where they run to on the engine as a loose connection can also cause this type of fault.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how many ground wires are on this truck i cleand g104 and g103 is there any other ground wires i can target that would cause this light
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Where di you locate G103 and G104 was this under the hood or the frame rail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this was on the back of the motor on the block also could i unplug the pcm and plug it back in or would that open a can of worms

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
One other very common issue with a ground is the one located under the drivers seat area outside the vehicle on the frame rail.There should be a few ground wires that connect here on this frame,remove the bolt and clean off any painted surface around where the grounds seat,clean off the terminals on the ground wires and reinstall them.

This was a problem on these when this ground had issues.

You can disconnect and reconnect the PCM make sure you have the key off though when you do this and this may cause fault codes to set but shouldn't cause any running or starting issues.

Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.