Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

chevy S10: 03 chevy s10 automatic transmission problems.

'03 chevy s10 automatic transmission problems. Took engine and trnasmission from a '03 wrecked truck which I could drive in the driveway. Installed it in an '03 with a good body. Upon completion the motor started instantly and I drove it around the driveway. I pulled it into garage and checked automatic fluid level. It was low so I added 3 quarts while it was running. I got in vehicle to drive it and there is no transmission engagement. It doesn't even try to move. Would adding fluid while the motor was running cause a problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

does it not have any gear...no reverse?

did it make a noise before it quit?

tell me all you can

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No gears of any kind. Tried pushing 4 wd 2wd buttons, nothing. Did not hear any noises. Wondered if adding fluid whiile motor was running could have cavitated the torque converter. Going from park to gears , no change, just as if in park.

please tell me

does park work..does it lock the truck so it wont move like it is suppose to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure will have to go back to shop to try and recontact you

ok

here is where you stand

1-if it don't go to park,,the problem may be that the transfer case is stuck in neutral

2-if it does go into park,,we know that the manual valve is moving and the case is in gear,,this tells me,that the problem is either the torque converter or the front fluid pump is damaged.....adding the fluid while running would not cause this,but,if the converter wasn't all the way back when installed,,it would damage the pump...it has nothing to do with the fluid or adding it

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any way to tell if the coverter is all the way back by looking through the inspec tion hole without pulling the tranny?

no..not now,,,if you installed the trans...there should have been about 1/4 in. play between the converter and the fly wheel after the trans was bolted to the engine andbefore it was bolted to the flywheel...and should turn freely

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how can you have a 1/2" space between the fly wheel and the converter and while having the engine bolted together? Beacuse then you couldn't get the bolts in?

not a half in.. around a quarter in....the converter gos into the trans befor installing it...it gos back deep into the pump...then,,when you bolt it up to the flywheel it will pull up to the flywheel...yes,,it will have this much space with it ubolted from the fly wheel..you cant check that now,,,sense if it did damage the pump,,we know it will go back

thanks

2003 Chevy Truck S10/T10 Blazer 4WD V6-4.3L VIN X
Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: 4L60-E/4L65-E, Transmission Replacement
Transmission Replacement

^ Tools Required
- J 21366 Converter Holding Strap

Removal Procedure

51_gc03stos_7-417b.png

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Raise the vehicle.
3. Drain the transmission fluid if necessary.
4. Remove the rear propeller shaft.
5. Support the transmission with a transmission jack.
6. Remove the transmission support from the vehicle.

52_gc03stos_7-418a.png

7. Remove the exhaust crossover pipe assembly.
8. Lower the transmission to gain access to the top and sides of the transmission.
9. Remove the transmission mount.
10. Remove the transfer case, if equipped. Refer to Transfer Case Assembly Replacement.

53_gc03stos_7-418b.png

11. Remove the shift cable end from the transmission shift lever ball stud and the pan rail bracket.
12. Remove the transmission heat shield, if equipped.

54_gc03stos_7-418c.png

13. Disconnect the transmission vent hose, the park/neutral position switch connector, and the main electrical connector from the transmission.
14. Remove the bolt that secures the fuel line bracket to the left side of the transmission.

55_gc03stos_7-419a.png

15. Remove the torque converter access plug.
16. Remove the starter motor to gain access to the torque converter bolts.
17. Mark the flywheel to torque converter relationship.
18. Remove the flywheel to torque converter bolts. Use care not to drop the bolts into the bell housing.
19. Disconnect the transmission oil cooler lines from the transmission.

20. Plug the transmission oil cooler line connectors in the transmission case.
21. Install a safety chain around the transmission.
22. Remove the studs and/or bolts that secure the transmission to the engine.
23. Install the J 21366 onto the transmission bell housing to retain the torque converter.
24. Pull the transmission straight back.
25. Remove the transmission from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

56_gc03stos_7-419b.png

1. Install the J21366 onto the transmission bell housing to retain the torque converter.
2. Raise the transmission into place and remove the J 21366 from the transmission.
3. Slide the transmission straight onto the locating pins while lining up the marks on the flywheel and the torque converter made during removal.
The torque converter must be flush onto the flywheel and rotate freely by hand.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notices in Service Precautions.

4. Install studs and/or bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
^ Tighten the studs and/or bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.).

22_gc03stos_7-420a.png

5. Install the flywheel to torque converter bolts. Use care not to drop the bolts into the bell housing.
^ Tighten the bolts to 60 Nm (44 ft. lbs.).
6. Install the starter motor.

59_gc03stos_7-420b.png

7. Install the torque converter access plug.
8. Remove the safety chain from the transmission.

60_gc03stos_7-420c.png

9. Install the transmission vent hose, fuel lines, and the wiring harness to the transmission.

61_gc03stos_7-421a.png

10. Install the bolts securing the heat shield to the transmission.
^ Tighten the bolts to 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).
11. Install the shift cable end to the transmission shift lever ball stud.
12. Install the transfer case, if equipped.

62_gc03stos_7-421b.png

13. Connect the vent tube hose and the electrical connections to the transfer case, if equipped.
14. Install the transmission mount to the transmission (2WD) or transfer case adapter (4WD).
15. Install the exhaust crossover pipe assembly.

63_gc03stos_7-421c.png

16. Install the transmission support to the vehicle.
17. Remove the transmission jack from the transmission.
18. Install the rear propeller shaft.
19. Flush the transmission oil cooler and cooling lines at this time if necessary.
20. Connect the transmission oil cooler lines to the transmission.
21. Lower the vehicle.
22. Connect the battery.
23. Fill the transmission to the proper level with DEXRON (R) III transmission fluid.
24. Road test the vehicle to check for proper operation. Check the transmission for leaks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can the pump be changed wuithout trans removal?

no

and you must have some transmission repair experience

thanks