Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

My 2001 S-10 with a 4.3 engine wont start

Customer Question

My 2001 S-10 with a 4.3 engine won't start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Hello jacustomer, how many revolutions do you typically get out of it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right now it keeps cranking and trying to start. I wear down the battery so I have to recharge it.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Have you noticed if the security light is on or flashing when cranking the engine? Did the engine die while you were driving?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Security light is not on during cranking. The engine never died while driving but last week before all this started, after a short trip to the gym, when I came out and started my truck it didn't feel right, it was running rough as if it was only running on 4 or 5 cylinders. On my way home it cleared up. After it sat overnight the next day it wouldn't start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm waiting online for an answer
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

the first thing to do here is to check the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 60psi at all times,even while turning the starter......the fuel pump may be weak and need replaced,,,if the fuel pressure check out,,,,check for spark on the plug wires,if you have no spark,remove and test the ignition module[most auto parts stores will do this for free]...if it does have a spark,,the problem may be the distributer cap,it is common for these to burn up on the inside,even if they look new and you do have a spark...if you end up replacing the cap,it is a good idea to do a complete tune up all at wplugs,wires,cap and rotor

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

2001 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U V6-4.3L VIN W
Ignition Control Module Locations, Components
46_gc01stbdy_6-635.png Locations View

70_gc01stbdy_6-1065.png Locations View

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I will check it in the morning. It sounds like a logical answer.

you are very welcome

thanks for using justanswer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed the rotor and cap, it did look corroded, but it still doesn't start