Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Degree Dealer Experienced

2007 Chevy Uplander: alignment..a light vibration..steering wheel

I have a 2007 Chevy Uplander, Will an alignment problem cause the driver's front tire to "hum" and a light vibration in the steering wheel? I had the sway bar links replaced about 3 months ago and got 4 new tires around the same time. It started this about a week and a half ago and only does it between 35-55 mph. I thought it may be the wheel bearing but was told it wasn't what was wrong?? Had to change pass. front bearing 2 years ago but would "hum" the faster I went. Would appreciate some help with this!
Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Did someone look at the vehicle and how was it determined that it was good the only way to know for sure is removing the wheel and putting a bar accross the lugs checking for play. This is the most common cause of this but you can check the tie rods and ball joints alignment will not cause this to happen in my experience but can make a wheel bearing thats going bad worse if off. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No one looked at the vehicle, just told me if it was a bad bearing it would hum louder the faster I went? Could it just be starting to go bad?
Yes thats correct that is what I suspect check the bearing like I stated above if its tight and the wheel has no resistance than check the brakes and tie rod ends but most likely the culprit is the wheel bearing in my experience. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, What would I need to check with the brakes? I replaced front and back last month. Is Temkin a quality bearing in your experience? If I do need to change it, I will definently need to do an alignment then right? Thanks
The brand is good but you will not need to do an alignment unless you change the tie rods so no you will not. If brakes were replaced they should be good but if the caliper is dragging on that front it could hum but again this would be with other issues. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks Danny this was really helpful. Gonna check the play and tierods and go from there, again thanks
If this was helpful please kindly press the green ACCEPT button you can come back with me anytime but this gives me credit for my time and effort. Thanks