GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

1994 Chevy: replace front and rear seal..speed transmission

Customer Question

I need to replace front and rear seal on a 1994 Chevy 5 speed transmission. Transmission is out of truck. I am having trouble taking out the rear seal, any suggestions? My biggest concern is the front seal. How do I take it out and what do I have to look out for? I am told I need to look out for needle bearings falling out as they can cause major problems if not done correctly.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is not as bad as you think.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The rear seal, is there a lip around the outside of metal that you can tap against?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

This is not as bad as you think.

The rear seal, is there a lip around the outside of metal that you can tap against?IF so use a screwdriver and hammer to tap, if not then you will need a seal puller, and they are cheap to buy.

AS for the front seal, Take the bolts out and hold the shaft in as you gently remove the housing from around it. The transmission should be standing on its end to get this out. THen you can remove and replace the seal and gasket.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no lip, the seal is recessed into the housing about 1/4 inch in. I tried the seal puller and a screw driver but both are nicking the housing. The rubber came out but the metal ring won't budge. Any worry about needle bearings when removing front seal?
I see no warnings about the needle bearing when I confirmed this in the manual.
Can you pry inward a bit on one edge to fold it inside? you can use some RTV around the outside of the seal to seal any nicks.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that, thanks. More questions to follow.
I look forward to helping you again. Have a great day .