GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2001 Chevy silverado 2500 hd: 4 : 10 gears..check engine light

I have a 2001 Chevy silverado 2500Hd with 6.0 gas 4L80-E four speed transmission with 4:10 gears. The truck has 206,000 miles engine has 80,000 miles. After driving it for a minute the ABS light comes on, and check engine light. The trans mission will shift perfect and then after a while it starts shifting hard, then if I turn it off for a couple minutes and restart the truck, the transmission will start shifting fine again.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Do you have the code numbers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the code #'s
How were you able to tell the transmission was in fail safe mode?

What is the color of the transmission and transfer case fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to a transmission shop. He put it on the Snap on computer, he told me these things. He said the transmission gave a slippage code at 60 miles per hour, he said it is when the computer raises the line pressure in the transmission, but he started talking about rebuilding for$2500, I don't believe it needs this. It isn't the toutque converter I don't think, because it shifts fine most of the time. Sometimes it just shifts a little hard. I also cleaned the throttle body and throttle body control sensor. Changed the plugs. ABS light and brake light come on, but not immediately. Sometimes it seems like the abs and brake light come on and then the transmission starts to shift hard, but not always. I think it is somthing electrical.
Ok, was the torque converter clutch slipping or one of the clutches?When the tcc slips you will not feel the slip but it will set the code and command high line pressure as a result. The test is to use the scan tool to command the tcc to lock up and watch the slip speed of the clutch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well we were not moving. He told me it might need a rebuild and that a fluid change isn't going to help, bit I went home and changed the fluid and filter and it helped ALOT. I was told on the phone by a Chevy service department that it is probbably the pressure control solenoid in the transmission, also that the abs control module could be doing this. I read that there are lots of people who experience this hard shifting problem with this transmission. Some people have fixed it by using an Ac deco oil filter to maintain proper back pressure. I have a wix on it now. Is there any way I could test my tourq converter. I read that there is a way to do that by pressing the brakes while holding the gas or somthing? Also in your career have you encountered this problem with this transmission shifting hard? I Aldo read that it could be the alternator causing a short to send low voltage to the transmission pressure controll valve causing the line pressure to increase.
The pressure control solenoids are comon for sticking on some of these transmission as well and is easy enough to change. It is the larger of the solenoids inside. they fail from use, debris and things like that. now back pressure on the filter does not sound valid as the fluid runs back when turned off anyway.
I have seen many shift hard and like I mentioned before it has almost always been the Torque Converter Clutch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But it usually shifts great! Just sometimes it shifts a little jerky. I put some trans-tune made by sea foam. It stopped imidiatly, but then it started again. So is there a way to check the tourq converter? Also is this difficult to change? And is the knock sensors important to fix? I know they are under the intake manifold, but are they important to change. I can get them for $50 each and $20 for the manifold gasket. Do you think I should change the abs module it's like 120 from advanced auto. A tech told me that it could be the abs module causing all the trouble.

But is there a way to test the torq converter? I read that I'd you power brake the truck and it studders then it could be the torq converter, also it pulls great. Never feals like slippage. Just sometimes it shifts funny. Should I try to change any selinoids
The knock sensors are and you will need to remove the intake to do that.
IF the Torque Converter Clutch is slipping you will nto feel it and to repair it you need to replace the torque converter.
I would try the solenoid as it is cheap enough.
What was the abs code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
B0265. For abs. P0327 for knock sensor and P0332 for other knock sensor. What solenoid should I change?
For the abs, send your module to www.modulemasters.com to have it repaired after verifying the ground on the frame are fine.
For the knoc senosrs, replace both under the intake.
Soelnoid, replace the pressure solenoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleaned the grounds they are good. The abs light came on more after cleaning the grounds. Is it possible for me to take the module apart and soldier or jump wire a relay or somthing? Is it ok to get the knock sensors from autozone? Also what weight oil should I use? Right now I am using 10w-30, but the cap says to use 5 w-30. And what transmission fluid would be best for this trans mission. How much to add if I am just draining the pan?
Yes autozone sensors will be fine.
oil, 5w30.
Trans, dexron VI. and about 5-6 quarts for draining the pan.
The relay is soldered to the circuit board and is enclosed in its own case so you would need to replace it, not something you can simply jump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could it be the speed sensors on the trans mission? The tires I have on it are 285/75/16.
I have heard of getting the whole trans mission reprogrammed.
Is there a way to feel if the torq converter is slipping without a computer.
The code, ARe you sure it was not a C0265?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know the trans mission code, guy wouldn't tell me. What is normal temp for transmission?
210 for transmisison.

the code you posted the 0265 is a specific code for the relay in the module .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Came off an actron auto scanner plus code was B0265
OK that code does not show as valid so think the issue is still that abs module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I get dextron 6? Is that what you are saying vi or 6? I never heard of this.
IT is the corrent spec for dexron so most stores will have it as well as all GM shops.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the entire manifold gasket need to be changed if I replace the knock sensor? And will I need to reset anything after I replace the knock sensors to get the check engine light off
Yes, the intake gaskets needs to be replaced and take the cables off the battery, touch the end of the cables together to reset the light.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With 4:10 gears should the rpm be at around 2500 at 70mph
Yes, that sounds about right.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What kind of coolant should I put? It has green in it now, but should I put red? Also my friend told me that I should disconnect the coolant lines to the transmission and block the coolant from circulating through the tranny. And put a larger tranny cooler. He said that the radiator lines or only for living up north where it is cold. This way the transmission will stay cooler and last longer. Do you think any of this is a good idea. Thanks, also what about a programmer could you recommend one thanks
The transmission cooler is needed for everyday operation so leave them Be. Use the green unless yu
Ou want to flush the whole system back to red.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
C0265 C0245 C0241 C0242 C0251 these are the codes for abs
Those sound like the brake abs unit, or a ground under the frame. Can you take the grounds off and clean then to bare metal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Did it make a difference?
If not then the abs unit itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Then I suspect the ABS module itself. The top can be removed with only the screws and the brake hoses need not be opened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I took the intake manifold off. It looks like the plastic gasket may have been leaking. I'm not sure. Anyway the knock sensors are shot, rusted out bad. I got them off. My LAST question is:

The intake ports going down to the valves are really dirty. There is all kinds of black crap, should I clean this off and with what? The injectors are REALLY dirty. How should I clean them off? I need to do this myself, because I am a teacher and I do not have money to pay a tech. Thank you!!
Blow as much out as you can then use a can of sea foam and follow the instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it ok to clean the black crusty crap off by the valves? I am just worried that it will all dissolve and go down into the engine. Or should I just leave that alone
Honestly the only way to truly clean them is removal and dismantle of the head. Do a simple cleaning and leave I at that.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you