Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291
Chevy

Automatic..The gear shift is up by the steering wheel..change gears

My car is an automatic... Show More
My car is an automatic. The gear shift is up by the steering wheel. It is almost impossible to change gears. What is the problem and could you possibly give me an estimate of how much it could cost?
Category: Chevy
replied 5 years ago.

hi

please explain...

when it it hard to shift?

does it not come out of park?...please explain your problem the best you can

thanks

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Its very hard to shift into any one of them. Park, drive, reverse. All of them.
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 5 years ago.

ok

are you sure the problem is in the column?

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
All I know is its very hard to move the handle from one to the other. No matter which one I go to its very hard to do. It started a week ago. At first it was only when I tried to put it in park. But last night it changed. Now it very difficult to shift into any position.

ok

to me it sounds as if the shift cable may be the problem here..the labor will depend on how much your mechanic will charge per hour,,it takes about 2.1hrs....the cable will cost around $70+/-

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1997 Chevrolet Lumina V6-3100 3.1L VIN M SFI
Shift Cable Service and Repair, Procedures: Transmission/Transaxle, 4T60-E, On-Vehicle Service, Automatic Transaxle Range Selector Lever Cable, Column Shift, Range Selector Lever Cable End
72_gc97lumna_7abook1-015d.png

73_gc97lumna_7abook1-016a.png

74_gc97lumna_7abook1-016b.png

75_gc97lumna_7abook1-016c.png

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
1. Dash side automatic transaxle range selector lever cable retainer from stud.
2. Left sound insulator.
3. Steering column trim panel.
4. Automatic transaxle range selector lever cable from the shift control lever.
5. Automatic transaxle range selector lever cable from the steering column bracket.
6. Automatic transaxle range selector lever cable through hole in dash.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

NOTICE:
- Always use the correct fastener in the proper location. When you replace a fastener, use ONLY the exact part number for that application. The manufacturer will call out those fasteners that require a replacement after removal. The manufacturer will also call out the fasteners that require thread lockers or thread sealant. UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, do not use supplemental coatings (paints, greases, or other corrosion inhibitors) on threaded fasteners or fastener joint interfaces. Generally, such coatings adversely affect the fastener torque and the joint clamping force, and may damage the fastener. When you install fasteners, use the correct tightening sequence and specifications. Following these instructions can help you avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Do not use any type of grease to retain parts during assembly of this unit. Greases other than the recommended assembly lube will change transaxle fluid characteristics and cause undesirable shift conditions and/or filter clogging. It is recommended that TRANSJEL (tm) J 36850 or equivalent be used during assembly.

1. Properly route and position the automatic transaxle range selector lever cable.
2. Automatic transaxle range selector lever cable to the steering column bracket.
3. Automatic transaxle range selector lever cable to the shift control lever.
4. Steering column trim panel.
5. Left sound insulator.
6. Dash side automatic transaxle range selector lever cable retainer to stud.

Adjust
^ Transaxle side automatic, transaxle range selector lever cable.

Shift Cable Parts and Labor
Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard
Replace 4T60E
Column Shift B 0.5 0.9
Floor Shift B 1.3 2.1