Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevy Aveo: it a big job to change a intake gasket..inclined

Customer Question

Is it a big job to change a intake gasket on a Chevy Aveo 2006?It has 119k.I am somewhat machanicly inclined.Not to good at spelling.A friend of mine single mom does not have much$ and was quoted $300 to fix. Maybe I could do it for less.

Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Replacement of the manifold gasket is pretty straightforward, should take about 2.5-3 hours.

Intake Manifold Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the fuel pump fuse.
  2. Start the engine. After it stalls, crank the engine for 10 seconds to rid the fuel system of fuel pressure.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Drain the engine coolant.

1. Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector.
  2. Disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body.

1. Disconnect the idle air control (IAC) valve connector.
  2. Disconnect the throttle position sensor (TPS) connector.
  3. Remove the alternator adjusting bolt and the alternator drive belt.
  4. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor connector.
  5. Disconnect the heater inlet hose from the cylinder head.
  6. Disconnect the surge tank coolant hose at the throttle body.

1. Disconnect all of the necessary vacuum hoses, including the vacuum hose at the fuel pressure regulator and the brake booster vacuum hose at the intake manifold.
  2. Disconnect the throttle body cable from the throttle body and the intake manifold.

1. Remove the fuel injector rail and fuel injectors as an assembly.
  2. Remove the alternator adjusting bracket bolt from the intake manifold.
  3. Remove the alternator adjusting bracket.
  4. Remove the intake manifold support bracket bolts and the intake manifold.
  5. Remove the intake manifold support bracket.

1. Remove the intake manifold retaining nuts/bolts in the sequence shown.
  2. Remove the intake manifold.
  3. Remove the intake manifold gasket.
  4. Clean the sealing surfaces of the intake manifold and the cylinder head.

Reverse procedure to reinstall.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think someone who has never done this before should be able to follow your directions and be successful at this?I would probably number everything I take apart so I can mate everything back together(1to1,2 to 2 etc.)Do you have to tork(no sure how to spell)manifold nuts down in order or just tighten them in order?

Thanks

Dave

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
I do thing that someone with some mechanical experience can tackle this job. Take some pictures with your cell phone or camera of the electrical connectors and vacuum lines as you go. It will be a big help in getting it back together correctly.

The manifold nuts should be torqued to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) in the sequence shown below during reassembly.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So taking the nuts off one way and putting them on another? I just checked,the part goes for $11.00.Then new anti-freeze and new oil and filter. Probably less than $50.00 to do the job if I don't screw up.So on a scale of 1-10 (I have mechanical experience ) what do you think your confidence level would be?

Dave

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Yes, take the nuts off one pattern, then installation is the reverse. This helps to keep the manifold from warping. I am fairly confident that you can do this job. I would give you a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10.