Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

chevy blazer: after replacing a intake manifold gasket..distributor

Customer Question

how to set timing on a chevy blazer after replacing a intake manifold gasket, had to remove distributor and my mark is gone and now engine wont start...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Ok, you have to have the #1 on the compression stroke. So turn the engine over and put your finger over the #! spark plug hole. Turn the engine. When you feel compression trying to push your finger of the spark plug hole, you are on the compression stroke. After that use Its a little tricky and may take a few tries but thats how its done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok then what dont i have to remove and install the dist again

Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you do then set the distributor to #1 on the compression stroke.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so set the num 1 to tdc first then the dist to num 1. ok what direction dos the dist rotate....
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
If you leave the distributor in, you will see which way it turns. YOu need #1 up on its compression stroke and the distributor pointing to #1 at the same time. However you do it is how you do it. But that combo is what will run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok let me see if i understand you i had to pull the dist to replace the intake manifold gaskets. so first i need to set #1 to tdc and then set the rotor to #1 on the cap right...so you dont know what dir the rotor turns

Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Which way it turns is clockwise. However this has nothing to do with you aligning it to #1 cylinder at compression stroke.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so if i set #1 to tdc then the rotor will be on the number 1 if not i need to remove and reset the dist to the number 1 on the cap yes...than put it all back together then it should start right...
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Yes, thats only true if #1 is in the compression stroke. And #1 is set on the distributer, I told you earlier how to find the compression stroke....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes put finger over the cylender and when it blowes off the cylender should be at tdc right...ill give it a try and see what happenes.
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Yes, thats how you do it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Set number one to top dead center, Compression blew my finger off. Took off distributer cap and set rotor to # 1. Put it all back together still will not start!!!
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

When the #1 was on the compression stroke, was the mark on the balancer at #1 and after that did you try lining it back up to #1 at the distributor and see that the mark is at #1?

Also did you mix up the wires?

Also did you see that the terminal in the cap is in a different place than it is on the outside?

Heres a picture of what you need to have in order:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello sorry there isnt a mark or a pointer on the balancer this is a non adjustable distributor, I did get it how ever your help didnt help me so iam sorry you will not be paid for it.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

One of the problems you can run into is the distributor can be dropped into the engine in any position, and on most engines be set up with the firing order, and the engine will run. So just be aware of this. The best approach is to get the #1 cylinder up to top dead center on the compression stroke. The way you do this is to remove the number one spark plug ( front plug drivers side), and get someone to barely bump the starter where it turns the engine very little. Hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole, and when pressure builds where it blows your finger off it is coming up on the compression stroke. You shouldn’t have to turn the crank over a few degrees to TDC (top dead center), certainly not over 1/4 turn. If you have trouble finding the timing marks, repeat the steps where you hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole, and when pressure builds where it blows your finger off, and then insert a stiff wire in the cylinder where you can feel the top of the piston. Turn the crankshaft by hand until the piston is at the top, and that is top dead center on the compression stroke. Which ever method you use to get to top dead center, timing marks, or stiff wire, doesn’t matter, which ever one of these that works for you is fine. From there pull the distributor cap off and point the rotor an the number 1 wire nipple on the distributor cap, and So you start there with the #1 wire on the front cylinder, and in a clockwise direction set up the wires, 165432 and you will have it set up. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.