AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2007 Uplander: quit working..the engine coolant cooling fans run

On returning from a recent trip, the a/c quit working on my 2007 Uplander and the engine coolant cooling fans run on high as soon as I start the engine, regardless whether the a/c is on or not. The refrigerant charge looks normal. The a/c and the cooling fans would seem to have a common cause, since they started at the same time. The engine temp gauge looks normal... right in the center.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Does the AC compressor run when you turn turn on the AC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure because the coolant cooling fans (radiator fans) are running on high and drown out any sound the compressor might make if it were running (sounds like a jet engine under the hood).
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You should be able to look at the front of the compression and see if the clutch is engaging..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try that.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the accept!

Let me know what you find! I will be here if you have any further questions!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Started the vehicle with a/c selected off. Observed compressor clutch not engaged. Selected a/c on. Observed compressor clutch engaged. Blew cold for less than a minute then blew ambient temperature air. Checked a/c clutch and it was no longer engaged. Engine coolant fans start running at high speed about 30 seconds after starting the car and stay that way until the engine is shut off.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. I would be willing to bet that you just need an AC recharge. Your freon level is low preventing the computer from grounding the AC compressor relay. Chances are you have a leak causing this condition.

If it is a major leak, the part that is leaking needs to be replaced. It is a small leak, then you may just be able to get away with a AC recharge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The low pressure gauge on the recharge kit shows a normal charge. I don't want to overcharge the system. There are no obvious signs of a leak, i.e., oily residue on a/c system components. Also, a leak wouldn't explain the coolant fans running on high speed. I understand the a/c high pressure cutout switch will shut down the compressor and cause the coolant fans to run at high speed. I'm thinking it may be the high pressure cutout switch itself, or maybe a clogged strainer, if there is one. Either way, I am not equipped to open the system. Looks like a trip to the dealer or a good a/c shop.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

If the AC system is in fact full and has a correct charge on the system, then yes.. I would suspect a bad or faulty AC pressure switch.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN