Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician

1998 chevy blazer: wheel drive..the front axle .If runs fine

i have a 1998 chevy blazer withXXXXX There is a noise when i start off like two items scraping together it is in the front of the car maybe the front axle .If i stop then there is a small pop and then the car runs fine no noise . It does not happen when driving nor all the time only when i start and maybe every 5 times.Had the car checked and found nothing wrong said need to hear noise. Mechanic suggested theXXXXXwas tying to engage then letting go
My name is Dan

If you lock in the 4wd, Will it still make the noise and does the 4wd work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not used theXXXXXsince the axle was replaced so i do not know i will try and advise you.ok i tried theXXXXX4 wheel hi works fine 4 wheel lo lurches when you start and seems to go in toXXXXXwhen you start off other wise is fine.also no noise just the usual whining sound 4 wheel makes
The starter had issue on these where the drive gear would hit against the flywheel when the vehicle gets put on a hard accerlation. Remove the starter and check the gear to see if it is loose or has been hitting the flywheel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it does not this is not the problem

There is a vacuum line that goes to the front differiental actuator. Disconnect that vacuum line and see if it still does it. The switch on the transfer case may be sticking and causing the front actuator to be partially engaged.

if you can't find the vacuum line let me know and i can send a pict.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if you could send i will try and go ahead and accept you tried hard

Here is a picture of the drivers side under the hood towards the back, Disconnect the vacuum line going down to the transfer case. Disconnect it and plug it and see if it still makes the noise.