Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.

Chevrolet Cavalier: 2000 chevy cavalier, anti theft loc on

Customer Question

2000 chevy cavalier, anti theft loc on radio will not reset
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I hope this information is helpful.

The instructions which follow explain how to enter the secret code to activate the THEFTLOCK-® systems. It is recommended that you read through all five steps before starting the procedure.

IMPORTANT: Enter the secret code as follows; pause no more than 15 seconds between steps:
1. Turn the ignition on. LOC will appear on the display.
2. Press MN (Minute button) and 000 will appear on the display.
3. Press MN again to make the last two digits agree with the secret code.
4. Press HR (Hour Button) to make the first one or two digits agree with the secret code.
5. Press AM-FM after you have confirmed that the secret code matches the secret code you have written down. The display will show SEC, indicating the radio is now operable and secure. If you enter the wrong secret code eight times, INOP will appear on the display. You will have to wait an hour with the ignition on before you can try again. When you try again, you will have three chances to enter the correct secret code before INOP appears

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i tried it it didn't work, will this work if it displays cal then loc

It should. Are you SURE you have the correct code? How many times have you failed to unlock the radio?

Disconnect the battery, touch the 2 cables together for 2 minutes to clear all memory. Start the unlock process all over again.

If no go, then let the vehicle sit with the ignition key in the on position for at least one hour. A battery charger will be required. Then try to unlock the radio again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i sent to a sho-1p for repair three weeks ago, and they claimed that i must contact a dealer i did and the dealer told me to try 2-3 and 1-4 but it did not work all my repair manuals say if it says CAL it has to be fix by an computer is that true, but other people say its not true....help

Cal means the radio is not calibrated and/or the radio needs to be set up with a calibration code. You may have put the radio into unlock code calibration mode by mistake.

Attempt to calibrate a number into the radio as follows...

The instructions which follow explain how to enter the secret code to activate the THEFTLOCK-(R) systems. It is recommended that you read through all nine steps before starting the procedure.

IMPORTANT: If you allow more than 15 seconds to elapse between any steps, the radio automatically reverts to time and you must start the procedure over at step 4.

1. Write down any three or four-digit numbers from 000 to 1999 and keep it in a safe place separate from the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON.
3. Turn the radio off.
4. Press the 1 and 4 buttons together. Hold them down until --- shows on the display. Next you will use the secret code numbers which you have written down.
5. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
6. Press MN again to make the last two digits agree with the secret code.
7. Press HR to make the first one or two digits agree with the secret code.
8. Press the AM-FM after you have confirmed that the secret code matches the secret code you have written down. The display will show REP to let you know that you need to repeat steps 5 through 7 to confirm the secret code.
9. Press AM-FM and this time the display will show SEC to let you know that the radio is secure. The LED indicators by the volume control will begin flashing when the ignition is turned off.

If not...

If this is of no help, the code may have been changed at one time. If that is the case, then the ONLY way to retrieve the current unlock code is with a factory scantool. The scan tool is connected to the vehicle and the radio memory is accessed. Then the tool can either pull the unlock code from the memory, change the unlock code, disable the antitheft feature all together and even unlock the radio.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it won't work i have to take it to the dealer, thanks any way,

If you still have no luck...

Procedure:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays CAL LOC) or (LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Listen for, "all others, enter your authorization code"

09. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)

10. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

11. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

Use the number give from step 10 to unlock the radio.

If the radio does not unlock or the procedure does not give you numbers, you have a radio which is a RDS radio which runs off a class 2 data link and will have to be unlocked with a dealer scan tool. Some of the late model 2000 cavaliers had been setup as 2001 models with a class 2 data network. This will require a factory Tech II scan tool to unlock the radio.