Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

95 Chevy: new fuel pressure gauge..pressure regulator..kit

My 95 Chevy S-10 blazer with Multi-port FI, keeps going through new fuel pumps, what could be causing this? The fourth one now just started pumping 45 psi only on my fuel pressure gauge, I have installed brand new pressure regulator, injection kit and filter....WTF!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 4 years ago.
What brand of fuel pump are you buying?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you replace the electrical connector when you replaced the pump?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the wiring from the pump to the connecter inside the tank, but not anything exterior. Plus just for your info the fuel sending unit has a burnt motor wire on the float gauge that is not getting a reading, but would that affect the pump psi output. I did not replace because the unit cost is around $500.
OK, I follow you.

Do you have one of these between the pump and the fuel sender unit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I don't think so.
Did you attach the pump with a piece of hose, or how did it attach to the sender?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the hose is attached I only got 1000 miles off this one but it ran fine until yesterday morning snow and cold. The last one was new but faulty completely.
The first thing I asked was about the connector. We find lots of problems with the electrical connector that plugs into the sending unit, and usually replace the connector along with the pump. After 3-4 pumps, I would definitely be looking at that connector. The wires break inside the insulation right where they go into the connector, and this would produce a sizable voltage drop, and I think this is where you need to be looking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the blazer started up and ran fine today 51 degrees, do you think cold and moisture would affect the fuel pressure. I am going to replace the fuel sending unit with an after market piece today, but I am not sure that, that is the problem.
Temp and humidity will affect wiring problems. It's pretty unlikely that you have 4 bad pumps in a row, I'm really focused on the connection to the sender. Not necessarily the sender itself, I would put my eyes/hands on that connector and look at the terminals, pull on the wires to see if they're broken inside the insulation, check the voltage and ground there, etc.