Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

95 Chevy: new fuel..my fuel pressure gauge..pressure regulator..kit

My 95 Chevy S-10 blazer with Multi-port FI, keeps going through new fuel pumps, what could be causing this? The fourth one now just started pumping 45 psi only on my fuel pressure gauge, I have installed brand new pressure regulator, injection kit and filter....WTF!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
What brand of fuel pump are you buying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Delphi
Did you replace the electrical connector when you replaced the pump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the wiring from the pump to the connecter inside the tank, but not anything exterior. Plus just for your info the fuel sending unit has a burnt motor wire on the float gauge that is not getting a reading, but would that affect the pump psi output. I did not replace because the unit cost is around $500.
OK, I follow you.

Do you have one of these between the pump and the fuel sender unit?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, I don't think so.
Did you attach the pump with a piece of hose, or how did it attach to the sender?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the hose is attached I only got 1000 miles off this one but it ran fine until yesterday morning snow and cold. The last one was new but faulty completely.
The first thing I asked was about the connector. We find lots of problems with the electrical connector that plugs into the sending unit, and usually replace the connector along with the pump. After 3-4 pumps, I would definitely be looking at that connector. The wires break inside the insulation right where they go into the connector, and this would produce a sizable voltage drop, and I think this is where you need to be looking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the blazer started up and ran fine today 51 degrees, do you think cold and moisture would affect the fuel pressure. I am going to replace the fuel sending unit with an after market piece today, but I am not sure that, that is the problem.
Temp and humidity will affect wiring problems. It's pretty unlikely that you have 4 bad pumps in a row, I'm really focused on the connection to the sender. Not necessarily the sender itself, I would put my eyes/hands on that connector and look at the terminals, pull on the wires to see if they're broken inside the insulation, check the voltage and ground there, etc.
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.