GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2007 suburban: relay works..Does that mean a broken wire somewhere?

Customer Question

My 2007 suburban rear defogger quit. I have power at the fuse and the relay works. Does that mean a broken wire somewhere? Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

These are common for the tabs breaking off at the glass, is this the case on yours?

Customer :

One tab came off and has been re-glued. I have checked and I have continuity from one tab to the other.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, it is not glue, it is soldered. USe thin Silver solder and as little heat as possible. Take the tab off the wire and use pliers to hold it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do the glue is why it is not working.

Customer :

I don't agree. The "glue" was permatex (I believe), especially for re-attaching tabs.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is not enough on these. I have had resolder Hundreds of them for this exact issue.

GM Tech (Cam) :

GM even has a bulletin about soldering it.

Customer :

But I don't have power at the ends of the coiled wires that attach to the tabs.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, I thought you did, you have no power at either end or just one end?

Customer :

No power at either end. We tried several 'grounds' with no luck. We then grounded to the auxillary power outlet and still nothing. We were using a multi-meter that showed 12 volts DC at the auxillary power outlet when checked separately and nothing when connected to the wire and the ground.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK is there power to fuse # 60 in the underhood fuse block?

Customer :

Not sure about fuse #60. My owners' manual and fuse box cover say the defogger is on fuse #50. What is #60 for?

GM Tech (Cam) :

sorry it is 50, does it get power at that fuse with the key on?

Customer :

We had the engine running and the fuse had power. Did not check with key on and engine off.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok so power at that fuse when the defog is on and none when it is off means now that the wiring is bad, can you start by checking the wires in the boot that run to the liftgate from the body?

Customer :

Open the wiring at the liftgate or at the body?

GM Tech (Cam) :

in the boot that runs from the body to the gate.

Customer :

At the top of the door the rubber boot connects the door to the body. Should I pull it out of the door or the body? Both seemed pretty tight when I tried earlier.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If you drop the trim at the top of the rear you can get at the wiring that goes into the boot from theback side to disconnect it and pull it out to look.

Customer :

Okay, drop the trim on the inside to get to the wiring. Then what am I looking for?

GM Tech (Cam) :

broken wires, namely a large gauge wire.

Customer :

Is there a way to continue this conversation after I check this?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

Customer :

Thank you. Let me see what I can get done tonight.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK.

Customer :

Cam, I finally got the trim off. Found a connector at the very bottom of the door. Looks great. At the top of the door I found where a purple wire is connected to a black wire. Connection looks good. I think the purple wire is the power wire from the front of the vehicle. I don't have any power at that wire.

Ok then you will need to find that wire to the front and follow it to find the break in the wire.

Indeed purple is the power wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any idea where to look at the front of the vehicle?
Check around the under good fuse block, wiring that runs back from there and around the body mounts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still trying to find the power supply wire at the front of the vehicle.
If you remove the underhood fuse block, it is under thet in the 56 pin black conenctor, pin B5 that is the feed out of the fuse block to the rear.