Canadafix
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience:  Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles
25077074

1997 chevy blazer: Something is draining the battery

I have a 1997 chevy blazer. It keeps losing all power. Something is draining the battery. The alternator is good and i just put a brand new battery in. The battery steadily loses power when i am driving and eventually goes completely dead. any suggestions
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will offer you some suggestions on the dying battery.

I will begin with using a diagram of the charging system.
In the lower right corner there are 3 wires that go to the alternator.
All should have power all the time.
The brown should have power when the engine is running. The brown wire is hooked up to the battery dash light.

If these wires check out OK and the belt is tight and not slipping the alternator should charge.

If there were a short in the system bad enough to cause the alternator not to charge the cables would spark violently when they were hooked up to the battery.

graphic

Your questions or comments are welcome.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what should i do? Check to see if there is power going to the three wires going to the alternator? If there is not any power...what do i do then?
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
The largest one is the most important. That is the output wire to the battery.
Check that one for power.
Let me know what you find.
I will assist you along the way.
Home all weekend.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay...i will check it in the morning
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Fair enough.
See you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the battery and alternator and they both have power...but it wont turnover...it is showing like it is totally dead...no interior lights or anything.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Good morning.

What are you checking the power with?
A multimeter?
If so, hook it up to the battery terminals and turn the key on.
Then tell me what it reads.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
multimeter yes...it read 12.4 volts....the key is stuck at the on position...but there is no power
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
OK.
Check battery terminals and the other ends of the cables as well for corrosion and poor connections.

You have an open circuit that is not allowing power to travel.

Check that out and let me know if you find it.

If not, we will do some testing with the multimeter.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all connections and cables are good
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
OK, take your meter, set it on volts (not an Ohms test).
Follow these instructed directions.

Hook one end to the battery negative.
Turn the key on.
Then touch the other meter probe on a clean metal body part. Note any voltage.
Then touch the probe to a clean part on the engine, again, note any voltage.

Next, hook up to positive battery terminal.
Touch the output terminal on the alternator, several fuses and terminals in the fuse box.
Note any voltage.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay...it will take me a little while...i have to get a ride back out to the truck...it is about 30 minutes away
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
That's fine.
I will be around until 3 PM today and again on after 8PM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got it running...when i went to test the alternator outlet...it started sparking so i pulled back the rubber and the nut had come loose from the wires...i tightened the nut back on the wires and it is running fine. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Awesome!

Glad we got it going.
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience: Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles