AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1990 chevy beretta: ECM..CAR RUNS RICH, ROUGH, WITH OBD 1 DIAGNOSTICS

GOT 1990 CHEV BERETTA, 3.1 V6 AUTO, SETS CODE FOR 02 SENSOR OR CIRCUIT OPEN, I CHECKED ALL GROUNDS BACKPROBED ALL SENSOR/ECM CIRCUITS FOR CONTINUITY, ALL SEEMED GOOD. CAR RUNS RICH, ROUGH, WITH OBD 1 DIAGNOSTICS I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE THIS PROBLEM OUT. TRIED NEW 02 SENSOR WITH NO CHANGE. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Can you get me the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, i guess not, currently deployed overseas, been struggling with the problem a bit before deployment. just a work car, but is still dependable. i did try another ecm from and 89 beretta gt 2.8l parts car with no change.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. if the computer was replaced with no improvement as well as the o2 sensor, then chances are it is going to be a wiring issue.

However, it is is a lean code or a rich code, it will not be a bad o2 sensor.. just a engine performance related issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah, i thought so, that's where i spent the majority of my time checking circuits. i think i remember finding three grounds which turned out to be clean and tight.haven't used the car since june, trying to remember all i did to correct the problem.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. yes.. If what you are telling me is true, chances are it will be a wiring issue between the PCM and the oxygen sensor.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE