Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

2005 impala: leaking..water on the passanger side of the motor what

My 2005 impala is leaking water on the passanger side of the motor what is the problem
Submitted: 2 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

hi

you will need to check all hoses to make sure they are not damaged,,

but,this may be the water pump itself,these have a weep hole in them and is made to leak when the bearing gos bad in the pump,this is to let you know to replace it.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could it just be the theromstat and how much time and money does it take to replace a water pump

i wouldnt think the thermastat would be leaking

the price on replacing the pump will depend on how much your mechanic will charge per hour..it will take close to 2hrs.....you will be able to get the water pump at your local parts store much cheaper than the dealer price listed below,,so,check with your parts store

2005 Chevrolet Impala V6-3.8L SC VIN 1
Water Pump Parts and Labor
Parts Information OEM Part #Price
Water Pump
9 - Water Pump 12482903 $129.57
Contact Dealer for most current part and price information
Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard
Replace B 1.4 2.1

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

A different expert here hoping to give you some more detail on this problem.

IS THIS ENGINE SUPERCHARGED? If you don't know, please provide me with the 8th digit of the VIN#.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it is not

Thanks.

I will include some diagrams so you have a better idea what you are looking for.

The thermostat is located on the driver's side of the engine so I would rule that out right off the bat.

graphicgraphic

However, there are quite a few common components that can leak on the passenger side of the engine.

There are 2 plastic coolant elbow pipes that are common to crack and leak. One goes from the tensioner to the intake manifold and one goes from the tensioner to the engine. A picture will help so you can expect what to look for.

graphic

Next, the water pump is common to leak. Take a good look at the bottom of the water pump weep hole just behind the pulley. A small mirror will work to get a better look. Also inspect the gasket around the pump.

graphic

The lower intake has coolant passages in the corners of the cylinder head. These have been a notorious problem on the GM engines. Take a VERY close look at the corners of the intake for coolant leaks.

graphic

Not done yet. Inspect the 2 heater hose adapters that go into the tensioner assembly as well at the heater hoses running to the heater core.

graphic

graphic

Lastly, inspect radiator hose that goes to the water pump. This can leak.

Either way... A CLOSE VISUAL inspection is REQUIRED with a BRIGHT light to locate the coolant leak. Then, you can proceed with the repair process.

Most common to leak with this age of a vehicle is the water pump, the 2 plastic elbow pipes, and heater/radiator hoses.

Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.