JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

2003 chevy express 2500: security light comes..gauges..speedometer

Customer Question

2003 chevy express 2500 rear wheel drive cargo van this thing has been a wiring nightmare from the git go. security light comes on and off anicialy it would kill the engine it does not kill the engine anymore but does continualy make the gauges go on and off everything including speedometer,oil pres,gas,temp. where do i look to try to fix the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

Those vans are notorious for IPC problems. Have the IPC sent out for repairs. If the security light comes on and does not kill the engine there is no security fault.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the IPC and where is it located i have searched all over and can not find any wiring diagrams for this stupid van.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
The IPC is the instrument panel cluster. We send out around 6 of these a month. 1998 to 2005 have problems with these clusters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i just replace it with a new ipc
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
New ones are very expensive and may not be available. CLICK HERE for the repair center.
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok finished up all wiring repairs and van started fine 4 seperate times. the security lt still flashes,i went to jump in and move it and out off nowhere it will not start again.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
What are you moving in and out? Are the gauges still acting up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i didn't touch anything from the time it started the fourth time the only thing i moved was the seat forward to move it.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Are the gauges still acting up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at the moment they are working
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
OK. You first need to make sure the gauges all work good. You may not need to send that cluster in unless it becomes a problem again. You may also have a bad lock cylinder that won't recognize the key. Let me know about those gauges. Drive it around a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can not drive it till i can get it to start.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
OK. If it will not run you may need to go to a GM dealer tomorrow and purchase a new lock cylinder. You need the VIN number when you purchase it to get the rignt one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which lock cylinder are you refering to?
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
The one the key goes into on the column. It can't recognize the ley so it activates the security system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but the security lt is not curently on it will crank but will not start
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Is the security light still flashing? When you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no . generaly it will run for up to 1 minute before it starts acting up and then sometimes its fine for days.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
OK. What is missing when it won't run? Fuel or spark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
fuel pump is making a buzz but it is not its normal buzz click before ignition
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
When you first turn the key to run with the gas cap off and an assistant to listen, do you hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as of this morning i do not hear the fuel pump engage. however new development this morning is a click noise from a box that is on the front of the tank.this happens about 3 to8 seconds after the key is turned to the first position.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Do you have dual tanks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no dual tanks. did get it to start one time but not for long. its like the signal to the fuel pump is intermitant.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Replace the fuel pump if it is not working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fuel pump is not the problem its somewhere in the wiring,also found bad ground going to what looks like proportioning valve.what color wire sends the signal to the fuel pump?
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Gray wire. If you would have told me ALL the NEW problems that weren't in your question i would have passed this question on.