Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 On my 99 Suburban K1500, tested 4wd

On my 99 Suburban K1500, tested 4wd this morning. Now it is stuck in 4 lo. Has electronic controls. Have tried all combinations of switch pressing, parked, in neutral, in park, brake on, brake off, rolling slightly, not rolling, etc. Where should I start? Went in to 4 hi and 4 lo w/o any noises or hesitations...

ok

it needs to be in neutral when switching from low..........................

tell me,what does the indecator lights on the switch do when tring to shift?

do you hear a clicking?

tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I hear a relay in the dash, one or two clicks per button press, not repeatedly. The light for the position I am trying to go TO will blink for appr. 30 seconds (error indicator, right? but don't know what the error is...) then the 4 lo light will go back on, if it went off and stay on. Once or twice after selecting 4 hi, all lights went off for a short while, then the 4 lo light came back on.

ok

thiis is a weak transfer case motor/actuator......it will need to be replaced,this is located on the side of the transfer case

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1999 Chevy Truck K 1500 Suburban 4WD V8-5.7L VIN R
Transfer Case Actuator Service and Repair, Procedures: Transfer Case - NVG 243-NP1 (Two Speed Selectable), Motor/Encoder Replacement
Removal Procedure

13_gc99ckbdy_4-262a.png

1. Remove the transfer case shield.
2. Remove the transfer case wiring harness connectors from the motor/encoder.

94_gc99ckbdy_4-262b.png

3. Remove the four bolts that secure the motor/encoder to the transfer case.

Installation Procedure

15_gc99ckbdy_4-262c.png

1. Install the with a motor/encoder.

2. Install the four bolts securing the motor/encoder to the transfer case.
^ Tighten the motor/encoder bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
^ Remove all gasket material remaining from the motor/encoder.
^ Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case interior shifting components.
^ Align the motor/encoder mating surface detent with the transfer case mating surface detent.

16_gc99ckbdy_4-263a.png

3. Install the wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
4. Install the transfer case shield.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Those images are not loading for me... I may have a spare motor in the garage. Will check it out and let you know.

you may need to left click the picture and click;,save picture as;then save them to your computer,then you can make them big as you want with your picture program..

be sure to install a good actuator,,it is very common to even get bad new ones,,,this need to be strong

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was trying real hard to find a different cause... In the past I have had the actuator on the front differential cause engagement problems, realize this is a little different, but was hoping. Changed that to no avail, now I will sped the $200+ for the Encoder Motor. Ouch!
yes,,they are high$$$$$$....be sure to test the new one a few times after you install it....it is common to get a weak new one also