Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

2000 chevy venture: automatic transmission. i cannot shift the gears.

i have a 2000 chevy venture. it's has automatic transmission. i cannot shift the gears. as per the gear indicator on the console/wheel, it's stuck on 3rd gear. the gear shifter moves freely and doesn't seem the catch the other gears. how do i fix it?

Jettadan1 :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Jettadan1 :

You have several attachments in the linkage that can break'....

Jettadan1 :

Please included as much detail about your vehicle as you can. I have successfully directed testing and repair procedures on your issue many times. Whether you are just wanting an idea of problem before going to the shop, or need testing, or most probable cause, I will be glad to help you. While I am preparing your answer Is there anything you would like to include?
As I can see your response and include your much needed info in while preparing your answer.

Jettadan1 :

make sure the shift lever attachment is not lose or broken. This is on the transmission

Jettadan1 :

Then there is a bracket next to it. check it that its not loose or broken.

Jettadan1 :

Now the shift cable goes into this bracket and has a retainer clip so check that as well. this is a likely cause

Customer:

the car threw a belt. the belt tensioner and harmonic balancer has been changed, as well as the serpentine belt. from that, a friend and i had to change the radiator because in throwing the belt while driving, the engine got hot, cracking the radiator.

Jettadan1 :

Ok cable may be broke then. so you would replace the cable if the belt

Jettadan1 :

Im not there so I have to use your eyes

Jettadan1 :

The only other thin would be that its detatched from the steering column control lever.

Customer:

if the belt does what?

Jettadan1 :

if the belt some how disattached the cable. It would be hard to do. But... let me know what you see.

Jettadan1 :

I am hoping this is not a internal issue

Customer:

well, i had my woman shift the steering column control lever, while i was under the hood. i saw nothing going on under the hood.

Jettadan1 :

Then the steering shift column connector may be detached

Jettadan1 :

With foot on brake you should be able to move gear selector on transmission to park.

Jettadan1 :

then start it

Jettadan1 :

You just have to have someone drive with you and run out and change the selector lol.

Customer:

i will check on that. i have a "Haynes Repair Manual" i'm also working from.

Jettadan1 :

Ok thats good.

Customer:

...and yes, lol

Jettadan1 :

that will help

Jettadan1 :

You will have to take the knee bolster off to see the steering column control lever.

Jettadan1 :

Removal Procedure

Remove the throttle body air inlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Powertrain Management.
Use a flat-bladed tool in order to remove the retaining clip from the automatic transaxle range selector cable.

Use a large flat-bladed tool in order to remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the cable lever.
Use pliers in order to depress the cable retainers.
Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the automatic transaxle range selector cable bracket.
Remove the knee bolster.

Remove the retaining clip from the automatic transaxle range selector cable.
Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the column control lever.

Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the steering column bracket.

Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable through the hole in the cowl.

Installation Procedure

Properly route the automatic transaxle range selector cable through the engine compartment.

Install the automatic transaxle range selector cable through the cowl.

Install the automatic transaxle range selector cable to the steering column bracket.

Install the retaining clip to the automatic transaxle range selector cable.
Install the automatic transaxle range selector cable to the column control lever.
Install the knee bolster.

Install the automatic transaxle range selector cable to the automatic transaxle range selector cable bracket.
Install the automatic transaxle range selector cable to the automatic transaxle range selector lever.

Adjust the automatic transaxle range selector cable. Refer to Automatic Transmission Range Selector Cable Adjustment.
Install the throttle body air inlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Powertrain Management.

Jettadan1 :

If your haynes manual doesnt have a image I will see what i have for you.

Customer:

o.k. i just pressed the brake with the ignition on. it cannot start if the car is not in park. when pulling the gear selector, it was moving freely, not seeming to catch any gears.

Jettadan1 :

is this the gear selector on the trans mission?

Jettadan1 :

gear lever

Customer:

gear lever on the steering column.

Jettadan1 :

Select it with this one

Jettadan1 :

this will bypass all the linkage and if it work you only have alinkage problem

Customer:

how much is that service done?

Customer:

just curious.

Jettadan1 :

Its an hour labor you will have to call dealer or salvage yard for price. This not a common issue so a salvage yard may do just fine.

Jettadan1 :

I have a chevy venture and a olds silhouette I like My van alot but it has had some break down but not that

Customer:

jettadan1, i must attend to something. i will leave this window until i get back, which is a few minutes. will you still be online?

Jettadan1 :

sure

Customer:

i will leave this window open until i get back.

Customer:

see you in a few.

Jettadan1 :

Ok I will see you.

Customer:

back in. i'm going out to the van and try what you suggested. thanks

Customer:

i'm back. i will go out there and try your suggestions. thank you for the info.

Jettadan1 :

Im here too

Jettadan1 :

Your very welcome

Jettadan1 :

Let me know if you need any other help at all and dont forget about the green accept button.

Customer:

any and all pictures would help quite gratefully.

Jettadan1 :

what images would you like?

Customer:

any images of the linkages from the steering column to the transmission. i found the problem. it was the cable that is attached to gears is loose. it does not snap into place. i got to put the cable back on to the lever for the gears or transmission. looks like i should go to a mechanic's shop because it looks hard to get to in order to change. again, thanks for the help.