ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech ,chev dealer tech
10832065

1982 Chevy: ton..an automatic transmission with what..overdrive..hill

I have a 1982 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton truck. It has a 350 ci engine and an automatic transmission with what feels like overdrive. My problem is that the transmission slips in overdrive when being pressured like up a hill. There also seems to be some slippage in the other gears until it gets warmed up. Is there anything that I can fix short of replacing the entire transmission to solve this problem?
Hi, glad to be of help. Sounds like it's worn out. What you can do is to do a trans service with an seal conditioner additive. I always add a seal conditioner with every tansmision filter change. It's worth a try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I get this done at a place that just does oil changes like Oil Can Henrys or would I have to go to a dealership?
As far as the additive, you may need to pick that up from autozone, pep boys or just about any auto parts store if they don't have it at the place you take it for the trans service, but yes, most all lube type facillities like Oil Can Henrys, Jiffy Lube, Econo Lube & Tune, do trans services. If you go to Pep Boys, it's a one stop experience since they have parts & service.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What brand of seal conditioner would youi suggest I buy?