Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do i replace ball joints on a 2000 chevy blazer 4x4 ?

how do i replace ball joints on a 2000 chevy blazer 4x4 ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Ball Joint Service and Repair, Procedures: Lower Ball Joint

Removal Procedure
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. .
3. Remove the lower control arm.

4. Place the lower control arm in a bench vice.
5. Using a chisel, remove the 4 securing crimps from the ball joint body (15 series only).
6. Using a press, remove the ball joint from the lower control arm.

Installation Procedure

Important: Use the outer flange of the ball joint in order to press the ball joint into place.

1. Install the new ball joint using a press.
2. Place the lower control arm in a bench vice.
3. Using a punch, install 4 crimps to the ball joint. Use the replaced ball joint as a reference (15 series only).
4. Install the lower control arm.
5. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
6. Remove the safety stands.
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Verify the wheel alignment.

Ball Joint Service and Repair, Procedures: Upper Ball Joint

Removal Procedure
1. Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Remove the upper control arm.

4. Using a press, remove the upper ball joint.

Installation Procedure

Important: The ball joint must be installed with the flat edges or notches in the same position as the replaced ball joint. The ball joint is directional and damage will occur if this procedure is not followed.

1. Using a press, install the upper ball joint.
2. Install the upper control arm.

3. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

4. Remove the safety stands.
5. Lower the vehicle.
6. Verify the wheel alignment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive been told that i have to remove the drive shafts to access the upper ball joints do you know if this is true?

hi

no,,you dont need to remove the axle if you remove the complete control arm

thanks