Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

1986 corvette: the coolant fan switch location..electric fan

I am looking for the coolant fan switch location on the engine for the electric fan on a late 1986 corvette
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.

There is not a seperate switch/sensor for cooling fan. The system is ECM controlled. It uses the coolant temps sensor for computer then computer determins when to cammand fan on. So.. the only sensor/switch used is the ECM temp sensor.location below as you may know? if you have alldata, click on cooling fam motor under "cooling" then click description and it will explain the circuit.

Front Of Engine

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The switch we recieved is a single pole watertight bullet style connector, the connector on the switch you located is a rectangular 2 prong water tight switch. Whether I go on NAPA's sight or anyone elses including corvette sights it is always a single pole bullet switch. Am I missing something
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I have seen the bullet type be listed as fan switch/sensor that goes in the radiator but that is the coolant level sender from what I remember as the cooling fans are still ECM controlled

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I wanted to add, up till 1985 there was a single post/bulletv type locted as shown below.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is a spade switch between cyl 6 & 8, grounding that switch does not make the fan come on, are intent is to have the fan come on @ 204 deg. I have heard the switch will overide the ecm.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
the spade switch should be for temp guage. from all I know and have researched to confirm, the only sensor partly repsonsible will be the ECM coolant temp sensor. currently, if I remeber correct, the temp cisuit in ECM is programmed at around 234 deg for fan. I am not aware of any switch that you can swap and reduce fan on temp. this is new to me. one could only add a manual switch , as seen done before and/or,, tap into the AC pressure switch and jump to another temp switch you install in an extra port in engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you go on any corvette website they all offer a lower coolant fan switch that original, all fit 1984-1995 (same one) I have 2 vets in my shop and neither has this exact switch and no one can tell me where this single bullet connector switch actually goes (go on eckler corvette and see #40416 kit?
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I opened the pdf instructions for the kit and from what I read/understand, the kit is used on 86-89 vetes with the option of aux fan. not all had this option. If it does, then the switch is betwewen 1/3 if not? it is the ECM controlled only. You would then have to get the aux fan , then follow instructions to wire in. This is the way I understand it. Open the instructions and read foot notes near bottom. Now, I am am aware of this modifaiction but only when the optional fan is on the car