GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2000 suburban: transfer case..4x4..(2wd, hi 4wd, low 4wd and neutral)

My 2000 suburban's transfer case is stuck in 4x4 high range. It is an electric shift (4 buttons on dash) transfer case, the shift buttons work and I can shift into all available gearing configurations, (2wd, hi 4wd, low 4wd and neutral). However, when I shift into 2wd the front diff/front driveshaft disconnect unlocks but the transfer case remains in 4wd hi... I have confirmed this by removing the front driveshaft to verify it is still in balance, and it is. With front ds off, i can turn the yoke on the front diff as it is free from the axles.
When I insert the front ds into the transfer case, the ds will not spin.

The noise and vibration of the transfer case chain spinning is very bothersome, please help...
Can I manually shift the transfer case into 2wd by removing the transfer case motor?
I have ordered a new motor, however I am leaving on vacation for two weeks Tuesday morning and we are taking the suburban. The parts will not arrive in time to properly fix the issue.

If I can get it into 2wd our vacation would be more enjoyable.

Thank you in advance,
Edward Carlson
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

There is a preload in ther transfer case on the front drive shaft so turning by hand is not the way to tell. Try turning the shaft with a pry bar. If it is inded locked in 4wd still, then even with a 2' pryer you will not be able to turn it where as if the case is not locked then it will take some pressure but it will turn

If the chain is making noise then your issue is deeper than just this and may include all the bearings, the chain and in that case it may be cheaper to purchase the whole transfer case,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When my wife moves the suburban forward or rearward slowly, I can see both driveshaft turning. Does the transfer case chain turn all the time in this case, or does it disengage from the drivetrain when in 2hi?
The front drive shaft is driven by the chain and the chain is connected to the rear with a clutch pack. There is a preload or drag if you will on the clutch pack so yes, it will turn the front shaft even in 2wd but with less torque than in 4wd. This is the design and is normal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So with the chain allways turning, given the 230,000+ miles on the suburban, the transfer case is most likely wore out?
With that many miles it may be worn out yes. But remember there is no torque in the chain or shaft unless the front axle is engaged, otherwise it is freewheeling.