David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master master certified

2009 chevy impala ...cannot shift out of starts ....

2009 chevy impala ...cannot shift out of starts ....step on brake but will not shift out of park
Do the brake lights work?do you have column shift or floor shift?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
console shift...brake lights work
That is likely a failed shift lock control actuator in the console.To bypass the actuator try turning the key on engine off then shift to neutral.Then start the engine in neutral.You can use this method to drive the car to a shop for shift lock solenoid repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my car is in town....about 4 miles away ....sitting at a gas pump at gas station....I will run to town and try this.....thanks.....if this doesnt work I will have to get it towed in the morning... thanks again Jack

Your welcome.Thank you for using just answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried key in on position...still would not come out of park....any other suggestions??
The only other way is to remove the shifter cover trim plate and manually push the actuator rod up.This would allow the shifter to be moved without the brake pedal.The trim cover plate is held in tightly with retaining clips.The plate is carefully pried out with a small screw driver.This can cause scratches or other marks on the console or plate.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

Component Name

Console Shift Lever Bezel Assembly

1. Block the drive wheels.
2. Move shift lever to the neutral position.
3. Use a flat-bladed plastic trim tool to aid in the removal of the shift bezel.
4. For console removal and shift lock actuator access, use ONLY a plastic trim tool to lift the trim bezel from the console. Do not use any tool between the trim bezel and the shifter.
5. Apply the park brake and shift lever rearward. The sound deadener must be reinstalled if the wire harness is removed or replaced.