David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

Chevy: check engine light came on in my 2003 Silverado hd..4 cylinders

The check engine light came on in my 2003 Silverado HD Duramax (85,000 mi) so I took it to the Chevy dealer's service dept. They replaced all the glow plugs and one head (covered under a recall notice on the glow plugs). 4 months later the truck had a complete engine failure - no compression in 4 cylinders, slight compression in 2 & mod. comp. in 2. Chevy agreed to go 50/50 on the cost of replacing the engine. While the mechanic was test driving the truck after the engine replacement, the AC went out and I paid for a new A/C module. When I picked up the truck, I noticed the radio controls on the steering wheel no longer worked so I took the truck back to the shop. When the mechanic drove the truck into their garage, the airbag light came on and now they say the truck needs a new airbag coil. Are these failures of the A/C, the radio controls & now the airbag "coincidental" or could they be related to the procedure of replacing the engine?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
That is a very common failure when the engine is removed if the tech lets the steering wheel turn to far when disconnected from the steering gear.The SIR coil is made to coil then uncoil as the steering wheel is turned.If the steering wheel is reassembled in the wrong position in relation to the SIR coil then the coil will break every time.I have done this myself once.