GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1983 chevy: ton..pickup..It wont start and have no radio or wipers

I have a 1983 chevy 3/4 ton pickup. It wont start and have no radio or wipers.. I do have lights and the battery is good. Just nothing happens when I try to start it and when i turn the key baskwards to acc. I have nothing working there either. Any advice?
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

The place to start looking Is the ignition switch under the dash on the column. It sounds like one or two of the contacts inside have failed. Can you check that with a test light.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I have to pull the steering wheel off to check that then? I was told to follow the wire from the alternator to a relay mouted on the firewall and the relay might be be the problem.
Not the wheel, on these older ones, the switch is under the dash on the column and a push rod from the column goes down and pushes on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should there be power to it all the time or just when the key is turnd?
One should have power all the time then one with the key on then one in start and one in acc.