Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

96 S-10 2.2L will not start cold. After cranking..warm

96 S-10 2.2L will not start cold. After cranking for a long time it will start and keep starting while warm. P0341 code is set. Once cold it will not start again.Good fuel pressure, spark, and injector pulse. I am thinking this code is setting because of long crank time and am at loss of what to check next.
These are classic symptoms of a fuel pressure issue. The P0341 is probably unrelated, since the engine will start and run without a cam sensor signal. A bad cam sensor will NOT prevent the engine from running.

How much fuel pressure do you have when it's cold and not starting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

43-45 lbs pressure

Sounds like when turning over that it is firing late

Do you have a scan tool that you can use to look at engine data?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm curious what the engine RPM is reading when you're cranking cold. Possible that the CKP isn't producing a signal when cold?

Other issues we've had with these include carbon deposits and clogged injectors, causing cold start problems. One product that we've used to eliminate these problems is Techron, it does a great job at cleaning the deposits and the injectors, and very often brings these cold start issues to an end.

P0341 is most likely going to be a CMP sensor replacement, it comes down to either that or a faulty PCM. CMP sensor replacement is most common.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
RPM reading around 300 at first start this morning and after 2nd or third try it fired and started.
I think the RPM is ok.

Honestly, I'd put the Techron in and try that before replacing any more parts. I've used it in many of my own cars and my customers' cars with tremendous results on problems like this.