AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

chevy: k1500 5.7L manual transmission..rough idle..oil change..trailer

i have a 98' chevy k1500 5.7L manual transmission, since i got it about 16 months ago it has had a rough idle problem once in a while typically 2/3 of the way through an oil change when the oil level was low I would add oil and it would be fine. unless i hulled a heavy trailer or was driving at high speeds for longer period of time. Now it is doing it all of the time. Also now it has another symptom, the engine seems to run sluggish for a bit when accelerating then all of the sudden it springs to life and runs like it should. during the idle problem the exhaust steams a bit and there is a sharp smell. I have dagnostic software and do know that during the idle problem the mass air flow values are higher then when at a normal idle. Also when I am in gear and accelerating the engine or exhaust makes a bit of a clicking noise that sometimes goes away.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you out.

Did you say that you have pulled the codes in the computer?

Does the engine misfire or bog down when this happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea the codes are just about o2 sensor failures which makes sense because the previous owner had an aftermarket exause system installed by headmen headders. but the lack of power problem could be called bogging down. i do hear a missfire or something when im at lower speeds and tried to accererate quickly and i notices a cloud of white smoke behind me about where the sound happened
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Can you get me the code numbers by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea

P0151
P1153
and a new one that the program said is stored is
P0174 "system too lean"

I have OBDwiz software and a elmscan componet to read the data so if you need any other reading let me know
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
If your fuel pressure is up to specs and your fuel pressure regulator is not leaking, these codes are usually caused by a bad mass air flow sensor. This is very common!

Just be sure to check for vacuum leaks (intake manifold gaskets) and other possible places as they can cause your codes too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so is that why it has a rough idle and that loss of power?..... i have so data recordings i can sed you if you want to that i just took
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You can if you want, but I have seen this so many times and this is such a common problem with these vehicles, you either have a bad mass air flow sensor or an air or a vacuum leak. again, just be sure that the fuel pressure and regulator check out ok. Also, be sure to check for plugged exhaust.
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector