Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS My 2002 Monte Carlo is overheating,

Customer Question

My 2002 Monte Carlo is overheating, changed the crank shaft seal, it is still overheating, why??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is David and I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

What temperature does the cooling system get up to? Are the radiator fans coming on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It just keeps getting hotter and hotter, no way to tell what temperature. The fans are coming on.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Is coolant level in reservoir full? If so, run engine up to normal operating range, then increase engine speed over 2000 rpm for two minutes. Then return to idle for 30 seconds, then increase rpm to over 2000 for two minutes again. Let engine idle for one minute then shut down, let engine cool and top off coolant reservoir. This should help to remove air pockets from the cooling system. Repeat procedure if necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tried that and now have more problems, engine does not go past 40 rpm, now car not starting...

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Check for spark by removing spark plug wire at coil. Try starting with starting fluid. Let me know what you find.